Brake upgrade

Complete novice warning!!! I want to get bigger discs on my Clio Mk3 RS200. I have 18" OZ Wheels. Has anyone done this? If so what discs did you use and how easy was it?

Thanks Sean. I know what you mean but I just feel discs look small behind my 18". My callipers are been done in Acid Green as we speak so it will highlight that area even more. Interesting the godspeed are a good £300 less.

I to wanted bigger discs, but guided by the good people on here I didnt just got some good pads and discs - stops a treat now.

Gordini's discs look the biz on his car as seen in the progress thread above.

Reactions: peter
Standard discs more than up to the job!

Save your money for other mods :wink:

Unless of course you

A) chase more power in which case warrant better brakes
Or
B) want easy teeth extractions from constantly head butting the steering wheel!

Reactions: peter
I just wanted them for looks TBH :smile: I've decided on the Godspeed ones but just need to do it without the wife seeing the £450 disappearing from the account.... Any advice welcome!

Hi just starting my track day build for my LY200. I'm currently considering going slightly larger discs - godspeed or performance friction. I know it's a matter of finding a balance - anyone who has fitted the godspeed / performance friction - is there sufficient tyre grip with the std alloys and cup 4's that the brakes don't overwhelm the tyres?

Hi just starting my track day build for my LY200. I'm currently considering going slightly larger discs - godspeed or performance friction. I know it's a matter of finding a balance - anyone who has fitted the godspeed / performance friction - is there sufficient tyre grip with the std alloys and cup 4's that the brakes don't overwhelm the tyres?

Do you mean Cup 2s? Or PS4s?

In any case, the standard brakes are more than enough to lock up the front discs without ABS, going bigger is all about thermal management. You get a bit more braking torque, yes, but you can already 'overwhelm' the tires with a stock setup. Just smash the brakes and you'll see.

The real trick is going larger up front with the discs will shift the brake bias a bit. Keep that in mind when braking hard - the tail of the Clio can wag a bit more.

Reactions: RSRowe
Do you mean Cup 2s? Or PS4s?

In any case, the standard brakes are more than enough to lock up the front discs without ABS, going bigger is all about thermal management. You get a bit more braking torque, yes, but you can already 'overwhelm' the tires with a stock setup. Just smash the brakes and you'll see.

The real trick is going larger up front with the discs will shift the brake bias a bit. Keep that in mind when braking hard - the tail of the Clio can wag a bit more.

Sorry yes PS4. Yes I had thought about the bias. I was going to strip out the rear today but think I will see what the new brakes are like from a bias perspective first and see how lively the back end is.

Are you planning to run an adjustable suspension? You can then fiddle with the setup to change how the car behaves under hard braking. I noticed the change in brake bias (I have the Reyland kit), but I am in the process of trying to tune it out by playing with the rear settings.

Standard disc on a performance pad is more than enough.
I wouldn’t worry about stripping the rear. Can’t say I’ve ever had an issue with balanced having done my own.

We've use both Godspeed and Reyland bigger disks

No brake balance issues, used RS29's in the front and M1144 in the rear. Not sure we noticed any benefit in braking due to disk size.

We did try DS1.11 with the Reyland disks and had issues with the disks, we thought this was down to the Reyland disk had straight internal vanes, the Godspeed we specified curved internal vanes

We ended up with Brembo HC grooved, with RS29's or DS1.11 - no issues

Similar Thread Suggestions