Brake pedal travel

Hello all.

Apologies if this has already been a topic in the past but, is it normal for the brake pedal travel to be so long in the 197's? To bring mine to a stand still my brake pedal has to be pushed very hard and very far.

I have also have an 07 Focus ST, the brakes on that are amazing in comparison. Just a slight touch brings it to an immediate stand still.

When I bought the 197 a few months ago, I was expecting the brakes to me very good, being brembo. But they're rubbish.

Is this normal or do I need to get them looked at?

Cheers

mine arent like that ?

sounds like the pads have glazed - would be worth having them stripped and cleaned etc to get the bite back

mine have done 16,000 miles and are still very good tbh,

i would get them looked at if i was you mate,

Hello all.

Apologies if this has already been a topic in the past but, is it normal for the brake pedal travel to be so long in the 197's? To bring mine to a stand still my brake pedal has to be pushed very hard and very far.

I have also have an 07 Focus ST, the brakes on that are amazing in comparison. Just a slight touch brings it to an immediate stand still.

When I bought the 197 a few months ago, I was expecting the brakes to me very good, being brembo. But they're rubbish.

Is this normal or do I need to get them looked at?

Cheers

I have the same thing - don't know what's the cause. It started happening when I first changed the pads at the dealers. I've got a new set now, and still the same problem. I had the system bled but it didn't help.

Does anyone have any ideas on some other ways of bleeding the system without the "pumping" the brakes? Can you ask your local dealer/mechanic because I've heard that the Brembo calipers need to be bled in a different way.

i have got the same, 2 front pads and 1 brake blled and still the same, could it be the dics?? foxspeed??

I have got the exact same problem on mine. Have only had the car for five days and have asked the dealer I bought the car from to deal with this. My brakes on my 182 were much better which shouldn't be the case surely.

i have got the same, 2 front pads and 1 brake blled and still the same, could it be the dics?? foxspeed??

i wouldnt have said it was the discs - unless they have a big wear ridge and the pads havent fully bedded in ie worn to the contours of the disc

as for bleeding - you can have them pressure bleed - would have thought most dealers would do this as its a one-man operation

wonder if anyone has any trapped air in the abs actuator

as for bleeding the brembos - i would do it = inner first - then outer - then inner bleed nipples and check for hard pedal when done

also worth mentioning - with the handbrake off - press the brake pedal really hard - this then makes sure the rear caliper pistons are fully adjusted and set to the disc - when i do it on mine it usually takes 1-2 clicks less on the handbrake

other issues could be the match between brake master cylinder and brake servo - the servo has its own push rod that works the master cylinder - it could be a mis-match of tolerance there (but very unlikely)

are the brake pedals hard when the servo vacuum is cleared or are they still "soft" or pump up hard - if they pump up hard or are still soft this is usually air in the system

as for bleeding - you can have them pressure bleed - would have thought most dealers would do this as its a one-man operation

wonder if anyone has any trapped air in the abs actuator

as for bleeding the brembos - i would do it = inner first - then outer - then inner bleed nipples and check for hard pedal when done

also worth mentioning - with the handbrake off - press the brake pedal really hard - this then makes sure the rear caliper pistons are fully adjusted and set to the disc - when i do it on mine it usually takes 1-2 clicks less on the handbrake

other issues could be the match between brake master cylinder and brake servo - the servo has its own push rod that works the master cylinder - it could be a mis-match of tolerance there (but very unlikely)

are the brake pedals hard when the servo vacuum is cleared or are they still "soft" or pump up hard - if they pump up hard or are still soft this is usually air in the system

I'm not at all technical with cars so wouldn't attempt to do it myself. It's got to go in for MOT in a week or 2 so I'll get the garage chaps to have a look.

Normally Dot 5 Fluid I believe.

Have been back to the Dealers and have sorted out that they are carrying out the service they should have done and that they are going to look at the brakes as well and think that they will change the brake fluid. Hope that this works.

Mines were a bit like what you have mentioned.. When i changed my pads i noticed on both sides fronts that the brake pad was jammed. once cleaned out all was working well again..

Got the car back from the stealers today and they had stripped down the brake system, replaced the fluid and fitted new pads. So far it feels so much better but haven't tried them in earnest yet.

Mine does this but only due to the RedStuff pads, once they get some heat into them they get some bite back.

Mines were a bit like what you have mentioned.. When i changed my pads i noticed on both sides fronts that the brake pad was jammed. once cleaned out all was working well again..

this is the biggest cause of brake issues with the 197.....there is no "brake service" !!!

i recommended a yearly strip and clean (front & rear) etc to prevent this