Brake disc

Joec1996

Gold Member
brake disc damaged
Hello people , just brought a 197 I need some advice please if anyone can help I recently just got my timing belt and water pump changed along with a cv boot. Everything seemed fine until I drove it 5 minutes down the road I started hearing metal on metal noise, I then pulled over noticed that my Near side brake calliper and brake disc were rubbing together making deep grooves into the disc brake. I then tried too move the brake disc with a cloth as it was hot and the brake disc was moving and was really loose. I got it back too the mechanics and they didn’t tighten where the wheel bearing nut Is and the nuts what hold brake disc and in my opinion it’s damaged my brake disc they’re saying my brake disc will be fine it will wear in but I think it needs too be changed, anyone else can give me an opinion and the mechanics I took it too have also used a zip tie for the cv boot is that okay ?.415F453A-D57C-499A-9207-F8701268EC73.pngEDF33741-27BE-4B3A-8DE2-5D1E99AB0671.png
I haven’t got the best off photos as I’m currently at my partners and my cars back at home.

It’s hard to gauge how deep the marks are from the picture. Can you feel it with your nail?
Some imperfections will wear smoother eventually.

And strictly speaking no. They should have the proper clip on. I’ve used cable ties in the past and they just aren’t good enough and don’t last.
Sounds like a garage I wouldn’t be returning too in all honesty.

Hello mate thank you for the reply, yeah I can feel the gauges on them they are fairly deep to be honest, I used a local mechanics in my area that a friend recommended as he gets his work done With them but the mechanic who did my cv boot and didn’t tighten the nuts properly was a training mechanic but the owner apologised and made him sort it out in front of me and he said he would replace the brake disc if it doesn’t get better but he said it will be fine so it wouldn’t need a disc but yeah I reckon I will take it too
REN-O-Tec in Chelmsford too get it checked over and use them in future but thank you for the help.

It’s hard to gauge how deep the marks are from the picture. Can you feel it with your nail?
Some imperfections will wear smoother eventually.

And strictly speaking no. They should have the proper clip on. I’ve used cable ties in the past and they just aren’t good enough and don’t last.
Sounds like a garage I wouldn’t be returning too in all honesty.

agree!

Reactions: Joec1996
My main concern would be the cambelt, they're notorious for people putting them a tooth out, if they don't know 197/200s then I'd be more worried about that than the brake discs, also the cable tie is the nail in the coffin....

My main concern would be the cambelt, they're notorious for people putting them a tooth out, if they don't know 197/200s then I'd be more worried about that than the brake discs, also the cable tie is the nail in the coffin....
Hello mate yeah cheers for reply yeah I will have too get it checked out with another mechanics more than likely go too REN-O-Tec In Chelmsford. With this mechanic It’s just a family run business in Essex took my mates word, i told them too order the cambelt and waterPump from Renault and they did show me the old belt and waterpump what hadn’t been change by previous owner since 06/01/2014 and water pump was never changed since the car was made I think. I couldn’t find the service history for that and the dealers I brought it off said the cambelt was done and showed me the piece of paper what was a vehicle report date I stupidly didn’t look at properly but yeah you’re probably right better get it checked all over cheers for the advice.

Reactions: suj
Hello mate yeah cheers for reply yeah I will have too get it checked out with another mechanics more than likely go too REN-O-Tec In Chelmsford. With this mechanic It’s just a family run business in Essex took my mates word, i told them too order the cambelt and waterPump from Renault and they did show me the old belt and waterpump what hadn’t been change by previous owner since 06/01/2014 and water pump was never changed since the car was made I think. I couldn’t find the service history for that and the dealers I brought it off said the cambelt was done and showed me the piece of paper what was a vehicle report date I stupidly didn’t look at properly but yeah you’re probably right better get it checked all over cheers for the advice.

It's not for the genuineness of the cambelt, it's the way it is done, many mechanics don't know how to do them properly and have ruined engines, don't do too many miles on it, if it isn't timed correctly.
But you need to get the CV Boot clip sorted and if you're happy to take a stand the disc due to their failure to do up the nut.

Ohh okay yeah I get what you mean, will get my car booked in ASAP with that other place too get it all checked over cheers for advice.

Reactions: suj