Boot close Gas Struts

CallorFold

Platinum Member
I'm not sure how typical/normal this is, so hopefully people can share what their boot lids are like ...

When I close my boot lid, it feels like there's very little resistance, if any at all.

I pull the boot lid down, hold it about 6 inches away from close, and let go of it - this is more than enough force to close it.

If any effort at all is used to push the boot lid down, or it's dropped from any sort of height, it comes crashing down with an almighty bang and feels like it's going to blow the glass out.

I don't have another Clio to compare this to, but compared to previous cars I've owned it doesn't feel quite right.

You can buy replacement gas struts fairly cheaply (sub £20 for a pair) and presumably they're pretty easy to swap out?

Does my boot lid sound "normal" for a Clio, or does it seem like the struts maybe need replacing? I might add a video link to this later on to better demonstrate.

The boot lid does stay up when opened, so the struts are definitely doing something.

It doesn't sound right that yours comes down like that... Mine does have a decent amount of resistance which I'd say is normal - it only drops closed by itself when it is near enough closed anyway.

It would be worth getting yours looked at, as it could be nasty if the wind catches it while you're leaning into the boot!

It doesn't sound right that yours comes down like that... Mine does have a decent amount of resistance which I'd say is normal - it only drops closed by itself when it is near enough closed anyway.

It would be worth getting yours looked at, as it could be nasty if the wind catches it while you're leaning into the boot!

The wind wouldn't be enough to blow it closed, it's like you say when it gets far enough down it drops on it's own. It feels like the resistance ends far too soon though - there's resistance right at the top, then nothing. I'll see if I can grab a quick video when I get home later.

For replacement, it looks like they just pop on and off so just a few minutes work if required.

@jimmyd81 @VolumeX - I've uploaded a quick video here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gg-J6DXjVA

Each time the boot lid is only let go of, never pushed down with any force. It actually doesn't sound quite as bad in the video as in person, but let me know what you both think :smile:

The 2nd close is how I normally try and close it, any higher (like the first clip) and it makes (what I consider to be) an unusually loud bang

looks quite normal to me..maybe they are on their way out but it is not tragic..plus i doubt you can get the struts for £20 a pair..my old clio ones were around £40 if i remember correctly..but an easy swap

[MENTION=52455]CallorFold[/MENTION] well to be honest, after seeing the video it does actually look normal - same as mine really. I thought that it was coming down from a bigger height without resistance.

I am always very careful with mine and keep hold of it until it's very low - but I am now thinking that this is probably because I dropped mine at some point and it banged! I learnt my lesson!

So I'd say it seems fairly normal and therefore nothing to worry about :smile: I guess most bootlids will drop with a bang if you don't be careful with them. My mum's Astra bootlid is well heavy - it's like a guillotine if you aren't careful :scared:

It's fine when I close it because I know not to throw it down with force, it's other people that scare me haha.

Makes more of a bang than previous Ford Focus and even Rover Metro did!

It's a bit of a non-issue really, so if your's are all the same I'll just leave it well alone!

I'm not sure how typical/normal this is, so hopefully people can share what their boot lids are like ...

When I close my boot lid, it feels like there's very little resistance, if any at all.

I pull the boot lid down, hold it about 6 inches away from close, and let go of it - this is more than enough force to close it.

If any effort at all is used to push the boot lid down, or it's dropped from any sort of height, it comes crashing down with an almighty bang and feels like it's going to blow the glass out.

I don't have another Clio to compare this to, but compared to previous cars I've owned it doesn't feel quite right.

You can buy replacement gas struts fairly cheaply (sub £20 for a pair) and presumably they're pretty easy to swap out?

Does my boot lid sound "normal" for a Clio, or does it seem like the struts maybe need replacing? I might add a video link to this later on to better demonstrate.

The boot lid does stay up when opened, so the struts are definitely doing something.

Totally normal. Been the same in the 3 Mark 3's that I've had. I can drop it from the same distance and it'll close like you said. There's no need to slam these boots and I shout at anyone who does, it really grips me. Just pull it down and drop it from around 6 inches... No more slamming! :smile:

Yup all normal, keep having to remind my girlfriend to hold it untill its close then let go of it otherwise like youve said it crashes down and sometimes pops back open