Bolt in Cage - Oulton ( Read 2nd page )

Sounds like a ''can't really be arsed but don't want to say no so we'll quote you a million pounds'' answer to be honest mate. :whatever:

It's about four bolts that hold them in and when I spoke to Sophie (engineering manager at Oulton Park) about them she gave me their phone number.

You fancy giving Custom Cages a shout?

Your probley right! too much hassle. I spenidng 500 plus VAT just go buy the KTR one lol

Yeh can do but they likey to be mega bucks?

Hahaha for the ~£600 they want for a half cage I'd rather chuck another £200 and get a full one!!!

No shouldn't be too bad at all, less than £300 I reckon. But the Custom Cages ones probably won't be as simple to put in and out unless they can ammend their design (don't want to say copy incase somebody from Caged should ever see this). They already offer 4 or 5 different ''Clubman'' cages for the Mk.3 anyway so don't think it'd take much to alter one to this spec'. We could do with getting a few photos of one of the Oulton Cages to show them incase they ask how they're fitted...

I would look see what custom cages can do, i can lend my skills to see if i can cajole if people wish....

Cheers Stu, that looks pretty cool. Can't say I've seen one like that before. :smile:

Let me know what they say Chris!!! :smile:

Mike. :tongueout:

As mentioned my car is in with Safety Devices at the moment have a 6 point cage designed and fitted.

This cage will keep all interior in place, and the rear 'X' bar (that has harness bars) will be removable so the rear seats can still be used. As are the door bars removable.

It will have feet welded in and the cage bolted to that. The cage will also be FIA approved.

Hoping to have the car back in the next week to week and a half. Once the production run is done it will be available only through Mark Fish motorsport. Price wise, I am not sure, but it will probably be around the £1000 mark. As its a premium product.

Just for info, Caged make the k-tec cages. And Custom Cages generally do motorpsort applications, so not sure they would be willing to a half cage, but will be interesting to see what they say.

Look forward to seeing that, Safety Devices are normally top notch from what I've seen.

CC already have a couple of half cages listed for the Mk3, they're non-type approved like but look the part on the CAD images.

c2model.jpg

They sort got shape already

That all depends on if you're planning on using a harness with it though I suppose. I would think they'd be able to add one into the design, it's not really a lot of work to weld a bit of bar in. :smile:

From memory the R.26R doesn't have a harness bar?

Harness bar or not, I personally wouldn't use one on a reclining seat. Unless your fitting a bucket?

Harness bar or not, I personally wouldn't use one on a reclining seat. Unless your fitting a bucket?

This !

Also what the hell is the point if you don't want it to mount harnesses ? To look good ? It won't .... To protect you in a roll over ? A)how likely is this I've been doing Tds for years and seem very few cars actually roll even less newer cars .... B) you sit in the front the cage is in the rear yea it offers roof line crumple protection but not over your head or by the windscreen where you need it

I'm all for a cage that looks good and works but this is neither IMO

I've owned one , it got delivered and immediately sold it does nothing but add weight again all in IMo

That all depends on if you're planning on using a harness with it though I suppose. I would think they'd be able to add one into the design, it's not really a lot of work to weld a bit of bar in. :smile:

From memory the R.26R doesn't have a harness bar?

Correct. The R26.R belts are fixed to the floor. Presumably where the rear belt buttons would be?

I completely agree with the not using a cage without a harness thing. Having caged cars in the past I have always used an FIA approved seat and harness and at the very least an MSA approved cage. But I do like the look of the Cage'd cage (regardless of it's roll over protection properties) and would be interested in something similar if the price and spec' was right.

Looks is a subjective thing Arron, I don't think they look too bad. They certainty add something to the car for me aesthetically and like you, I have never seen a car roll after many trackdays. But if one was planning to stick some buckets in and a harness, then instead of just a harness bar I would consider using this cage (or similar) as an alternative. You see plenty of cars with buckets and harnesses but NO cage of any sort. This is more dangerous than having half a cage...

The original Oulton Cage doesn't have one (harness bar), cage was never used with harnesses in the MSV cars (MSV must have had to carry out a risk assessment for this), is more for looks than safety and as this thread is about the Oulton Cage, well you know, the question was asked about who could produce a copy or something similar and the image is a base spec' cage that CC already produce (showing similar shape to the Cage'd version) and nothing more. Wouldn't be difficult for them to weld in a bit of extra bar if they were asked too, hell I would do that myself if it worked out cheaper then asking them to modify it. As for the front/rear thing, R.26R doesn't have a roll over hoop or door bars...

Don't think the R.26R utilises a harness bar does it?

Last edited:
Correct. The R26.R belts are fixed to the floor. Presumably where the rear belt buttons would be?

I thought so, haven't seen one in the flesh so was trying to remember what photos I've seen hahaha!!! Cue the debate about harness fixations angles...