black 197 - clay, wax or glaze, seal & wax....

Hi all! plan to give the car a good scrub once the weather gets better, the plan is to clay the whole car, then use some polish on it to remove the light swirls, and now the question is, what can I expect from using Poorboys black hole glaze followed by a EX-P sealant, will this be more durable than using ordinary wax on it? or should I use normal wax on top of the sealant ? or what ?

how durable is the glaze / sealant combo, will it last a while or will it wash off with the first wash???

should I even bother getting those two products ??? I have a SONAX Premium carnauba wax to use on the car, and wonder if it will enhance the look in any way...

the conditions here are tough for the paintjob, even when the winter goes away, there is a lot of sand / rocks on the roads, so a lot of dust, you can wash a car, drive it home, and notice that it is already dirty / dusted after doing a 2 mile trip from a place that you washed it at...

Right, a glaze is used to add some depth and wetness to the paint and then it's topped off with a wax or sealant.

What colour is your car? If it's silver then i'd highly recommend wekstatt acrylic kit from polished bliss (no need for a glaze). Otherwise i'd use a glaze like meguiars no.7 and top it off with some colinite 476, there's such a tiny difference in the look that waxes give so just go for a reasonably priced one that lasts a long time. The excepting to that is the werkstatt which just looks amazing on silver

I use both black hole and EX-P from poorboys on my albi. BH gives it a nice glossy wet look and the sealant seals it in. I still tend to top that off with a coat of wax, but I would assume the EX-P would be very durable and you'd just top the wax up every so often.

I use clearkote red moose glaze which is brilliant
and poorboys exp sealant
topped off by dodo juice wax

remember though that glaze is purely for looks and isn't weather proof so you have to seal it in with the sealant or wax. Also if you seal and wax you need to seal first, wax sticks to sealant but sealant does not stick to wax

big thanks for your replies mates!

my car is deep black, so I guess the Black hole should be good topped with a sealant, the EX-P is by itself sounds to be more durable than an ordinary wax right, but then adding a layer of wax over it might enhance the durability of the protection / shine / dirt repelling and all that :smile:

the ease of rinsing a car off is crucial, like I stated before, there is a lot of particles in the air ( so called dust :wink: ) that stick to the paint, so Yeah, I guess I'll go for the megs clay set followed by the poorboys polish, glaze and sealant, and then I'll top it off with the Sonax premium carnauba wax, hope it will do :smile:

big thanks for your replies mates!

my car is deep black, so I guess the Black hole should be good topped with a sealant, the EX-P is by itself sounds to be more durable than an ordinary wax right, but then adding a layer of wax over it might enhance the durability of the protection / shine / dirt repelling and all that :smile:

the ease of rinsing a car off is crucial, like I stated before, there is a lot of particles in the air ( so called dust :wink: ) that stick to the paint, so Yeah, I guess I'll go for the megs clay set followed by the poorboys polish, glaze and sealant, and then I'll top it off with the Sonax premium carnauba wax, hope it will do :smile:

Yep that is the right order to do it in. Poorboys black hole is top stuff too :smile: Should look great

bought a clay set of sonax yesterday and gave it a try, what a great product!!! anyone tired it / compared with the meguiars or others ??? i must admit I bought it over meguiars because of the price mostly, less than 8 pounds a set ( 60g clay and lubricant ) compared to over 30....

now I only did the boot but its super clean now!!!! needs a polish as I started washing the car late in the afternoon and even though the weather was awesome it took me some time do the whole car around, and ended up using the clay in the dark... so i"ll rinse the car today and give it some polish, I cant make it all in one day unfortunately...

then I'll order the glaze and sealant, and give them a go next time,

cheers!

progress, today, apart from giving a wash to my dad's 2010 brown scenic, first wash of the car ever :smile: picked up from the dealers in January!!!!!!!!,

now the 197s progress, clayed the rear bumper and the whole right side of the car, so that's half of the car pretty much done now,

The clay was followed by turtle wax platinum precision wax which is a polish and some sort of wax in one,

cant believe how much of a difference claying made... the car is smooth like brand new !!!

I will put the black hole glaze and EX-P after I have the whole car clayed,

a question, will the ssr1 take the whole wax off??? or do I have to use something else prior to putting the glaze and sealant?

ok, the whole car is now finished, clayed and waxd with turtle wax platinum precision wax, not very happy with it ( the wax ), but only thing I had atm that could polish the paint a little, will probably wait with the ssr1, glaze, sealant combo for a month or two to see how that wax "behaves" when put on clean paint, overall very happy with the results, out of a camera atm so no pics done during the work, but will give it another wash next week and will do some pics then, still need to put summer tyres on so postponed giving the rims a wash&wax cause they'll get dirty during the summer tyres refit, wax applied by hand, I might get a polisher in the future as it will cost me less to purchase than getting it done by someone else, cause the paint does have some damage in obvious areas, the boot, rear bumper, the sideskirts are just aaaawful, though getting all that tar and other dirt off it did help a little, they look somewhat better after the little polish I gave them, yeah anyway, so glad I did the claying, the car drives so much better now with all that extra weight off :smile:

selgros cash and carry :smile: real bargain 29 PLN plus 22% tax, megs set costs over 150 PLN, need to buy another one as I used all of the lubricant and you cant purchase it separately, it must be a new product by the way as I have never seen it on the shelves before,

well I didnt have time to do the pics during and after, but anyway dont think you would tell from the pics whether or not it has been clayed :smile: but the panels feel extra smooth now, especially the boot, the rear bumper and the whole side under the strips, those parts of the car were a nightmare and I was unable to wax the car properly, fortunately now I have it in my stock and will be claying the 197 every few months to keep it clean, the roof and the upper parts of the car were not very dirty ( full paintjob bout a year ago ), felt like I didnt get anything out of it at all, it was smooth before, maybe just a little bit better now, so glad I did this, it was really pi***ng me off to feel all that dirt I couldnt wash off, recommended it to a friend that has just started his carwash business and he was amazed of the results and now has put it into his offer as well, great stuff!