Bird droppings on bonnet - if you aren't sure what you 're doing, just leave them be!

tchalikias

Paid Member
My previous car was a silver/gray Megane II. During my 7 years of ownership, the car had been washed 4 times. Yes, just 4.

Before I sold it, I took it in for a proper wash - the color was still brilliant and there were no dull spots or marks from the various bird droppings that had been left to dry for months on the bodywork. Nothing. Even the car wash employees couldn't believe how good the condition of the paintwork was.

Yesterday I was unfortunately parked under a tree with my black 200 so my bonnet became a nice target for a couple of pigeons.

Having read how bird poo is incredibly corrosive, I decided to try and remove the bird droppings with water and a small towel right then and there.

Big mistake :worried:

They were harder than diamonds, incredibly tough to remove. To my horror, after I removed them and gave the bonnet a proper wash, I found out 3 spots, 5 cm in diameter, that have lost their 'shininess' but not because of corrosion: because whilst trying to remove the damn poo, I had managed to scratch the hell out of my shiny bonnet :worried:

Some of the scratches are so deep they are visible even without sunlight, and running your nail gently over them you can feel they are deep.

I'm gutted, I'm sure if I'd let the droppings get washed off during the next rain my bonnet would be in better shape than it is now..

So a big warning to everyone: better leave the droppings be than remove them hastily fearing corrosion damage. As I said, my previous Renault has had bird poo all over its paintwork for years to no adverse effect..

I think you are probably right mate, leave them there until its next wash and blast it with the hose first to loosen them up. I think this is the best bet!

Or just use a damp cloth / sponge to soften them before you try and wipe them off?

I would never advocate leaving bird droppings on the car, I suspect you were either very lucky with the Megane, or your birds don't have as corrosive a diet as ours!

...if you leave Seagul poo on your car it WILL take the lacquer off if you leave it of for more than a few hours...I (sadly enough) carry a little spray bottle with some soapy water in to spray on the poo if it happens....this softens it and will prevent any scratching, especially if you use a damp micro fibre cloth.....

warm tea towel / cloth leave on for a while will soften it up a treat although at the moment will more likely freeze to a crisp lol!

Find someone with a machine polisher, and you should be able to polish them out. Ive done this in the past and got dull spots out. As far as the scratches though, if you can feel them with your nail, it will need properly spraying / smart repairing

Bird lime is very corrosive, get it off asap! I put a really wet peice of tissue on each splat, then keep pooring water over each tissue for around 10 minutes, then see if its soft enough to dislodge and wipe away.

Bare in mind alot of birds eat grit to help their digestive system, so any rubbing will cause scratches.

In hot sunshine bird lime can damge the paint in less than 2 hours!!!

If you had quick detailer and a plush microfiber you wouldn't of been posting this thread :worried:
Even then you will need to wipe very lightly.

LOL at all the technical methods of removing bird poo...

Bad news on the damage fella, but as said, it should be repairable.