BHP Gains???

If I buy a pint, I want to know theres a pint in the glass. Especially if I've paid 1300 quid for it. I wouldnt want to know that I just had more than the pint that was pulled yesterday......
If a tuner says its 220bhp, wouldn't you expect that to be an honest figure otherwise why would you believe their gains in the first place? I'm sorry but we all know the million different factors that can influence the final BHP figure.

Ok, say I've gained 20bhp from a remap.....what if my car was down on power in the first place? So yes I would be happy that I made 20bhp but it had it to give anyway. My fat mate on a diet lost loads of weight in the first month cause he had it to lose..and Women say its not the size of your p****s, its what you do with it...I'd rather know that I had a small or big p****s to start with LOL

TBH Car makers have also been getting away with it for years.......197/200bhp really??

You know whats funny, ask Renaultsport how much it cost them to gain 3bhp for the 200bhp. How many million, but we can do it ith just a air filter? Somebodys got it wrong? lol

Last edited:
Lol and so very true, unfortunately tuners will continue to make such claims as that know that they will continue to get away with it citing all the variables that can contribute to a lower than stated fiqure

As long as you get a pre cams dyno run then get a post cams dyno then you'll be able to see what gains you've achieved?

You know whats funny, ask Renaultsport how much it cost them to gain 3bhp for the 200bhp. How many million, but we can do it ith just a air filter? Somebodys got it wrong? lol

thats because we/tuners dont have to meet homologations regs for noise & emissions over 1000's of miles :shout:

Plus the renault BHP figures are not calculated on a rolling road there done on a engine / hub dyno no driving the aux belts for alternator , air con water pump etc .

Thus they always make "weak" power when they get dynoed as it has wheels , water pump , alternator

thats because we/tuners dont have to meet homologations regs for noise & emissions over 1000's of miles :shout:

Plus the renault BHP figures are not calculated on a rolling road there done on a engine / hub dyno no driving the aux belts for alternator , air con water pump etc .

Thus they always make "weak" power when they get dynoed as it has wheels , water pump , alternator

Yep know all that, the point is there is little to no tranparency when it comes to BHP figures and claims. I'm glad when I order my pint, I can clearly see what I'm getting.
Some tuners have been getting away too long with making claims that are rarely delivered. Its taking peoples hard earned under false pretenses.....ok we can focus on the difference between before and after but thats means nothing for me without knowing the baseline.

Last edited:
sorry to go off thread but same applies with the MPG
30 - 34 MPG?? commoonnnn!!
how many of us bought their cars believing the manufacturers figures?

I tend to focus more on drivability differences rather than a dyno chart.

All the chart does is give you bragging rights. A well setup torquey and responsive engine is what puts a smile on your face ( assuming it's bolted to the right chassis ).

What should happen then is you pay half up front, they promise you xxxbhp and when you go to collect they have to prove to you, by putting it on the rolling road there and then.

No promised figure, no more payment.

That'd stop em :rofl::rofl:

If your "green" enough to belive that every car will make say 19bhp with stage 3 then more pitty to ya .

(not saying anyone does btw)

But all cars are different and will react different depending on lots and lots of factors

As ben says if it drives better and its worth the £££ then happy days

Haha, I'm only yankin your chain mate. People are getting too hung up about BHP lately rather than just enjoying the clio for what it's really all about. B road fun and the odd track day.

Can we have a ban on bhp final figures and more promotion for gains?!?

A pint and a complex engine with many moving parts, manufacturing tollerences etc etc are light years apart. I see what your saying, but the variables are soo extreme.

How an engine performes is down to a hundred different things. How it was built. How it was run in. Fuel quality. Air temp. Humidity. Milage.

Who are you trying to question? The tuner? Or the manufacturer? Or the company that supplies all the components? Or the fuel company?

Most tuners seem to publish gains made rather than headline power figures. And those that do publish them from experience. Cold hard facts in front of them. It would be tedious if they put '220 bhp, but only on car xxx, you might get more, you might get less'.

And if someone gets work done with certain figures set as gospel, then more fool them!!!

Can we have a ban on bhp final figures and more promotion for gains?!?

A pint and a complex engine with many moving parts, manufacturing tollerences etc etc are light years apart. I see what your saying, but the variables are soo extreme.

How an engine performes is down to a hundred different things. How it was built. How it was run in. Fuel quality. Air temp. Humidity. Milage.

Who are you trying to question? The tuner? Or the manufacturer? Or the company that supplies all the components? Or the fuel company?

Most tuners seem to publish gains made rather than headline power figures. And those that do publish them from experience. Cold hard facts in front of them. It would be tedious if they put '220 bhp, but only on car xxx, you might get more, you might get less'.

And if someone gets work done with certain figures set as gospel, then more fool them!!!