Better scuttle drains on new models?

tomislavp4

Paid Member
So it's been raining like crazy for the past few days here in Sweden so I thought I'd check the drains. I cleaned them a couple of months ago so I kinda hoped they were doing what they're supposed to but instead found this. You can almost take a bath in there ffs.

IMG_20180729_202830.jpg

Does anyone know if they improved the drain design on newer models? Or are they having the same issues?

My wipers have stopped working recently and I did have some water but not as much as in your picture.

My car alarm has also started to go off tonight for the first time quite randomly, is this a coincidence or a linked problem?

My wipers have stopped working recently and I did have some water but not as much as in your picture.

My car alarm has also started to go off tonight for the first time quite randomly, is this a coincidence or a linked problem?

I'm sorry but I have no idea. Everything worked fine on my car even with that much water in there. The wipers can get affected by the water because the motor is right where the water collects but I don't see how the alarm can get affected. Most likely unrelated.

@tomislavp4
Do you have your clio under trees at your home?
If you cleaned drains couple of months ago, why there is so much stuff from trees visible.
I cleaned my cars drains 1,5 year ago and there is no any problems with blockage. My car is in open garage (like a agarage without door).

When i was doing my drain cleaning i cleaned all other areas too with solvant+brush and water hose. This kind of full cleaning avoids blocking in future.

20170114_134037.jpg\medium

Last edited:
Reactions: Micah
have to do my a few times a year..think it doesnt matter where you live..only takes 2 mins..

@Antti O yup, there are trees around the parking I use but then there are trees around every single one around my apartment and I don't see any of my neighbors cleaning their drains. The trees are to blame yes but so is Renault for the drain design.

Anyway, I started this thread to see if it's been fixed in 4th gen Clio / Megane. Does anyone know?

If you take the drain pipe out there is a flap at the bottom of the pipe (acts as a one way valve) I cut this off and it has improved the drainage

If you take the drain pipe out there is a flap at the bottom of the pipe (acts as a one way valve) I cut this off and it has improved the drainage
I was going to say I wonder what they expect to come back up? So surely you could just make it a short pipe or even take the rubber bit out? Has anyone done this with any level of success?

Peugeot used to make it into a closed up x shape at the bottom and to be honest they used to fill up too, I cut the tube back on my 406 so it was literally just a tube and it was a million times better!
I might dig mine out in a second while we have nowt on in work :smile: