Best way to check gearbox oil level.

During off throttle I can hear a light wearing noise coming from the gearbox area, this might be due to low oil? Or maybe normal?

thanks
Ryan

The box does whine a little, it depends how loud it is though as to how normal it might be. Generally I onlyfind it noticable in 2nd and maybe 3rd very slightly.

Mine has been doing this, so I decided to change it. I've put some Fuchs oil in (recommended by opie)

Firstly it was low anyway. Only 1.7l came out and 1.9 went back in. Secondly it has made it quieter, much better than it was!

Definately worth changing it for the 20 quid it'll set you back.

to check it correctly you need it on a hoist and level

then remove the filler/level plug and make sure the oil is to the bottom of the filler hole - if a littel runs out then that is fine

its an "easy" job to change the oil

Think I am going to change mine very soon, was going to do it last month but put it off however even with only covering 1k miles since my gearbox was replaced its starting to give them tell-tale signs.

As Chris says for the sake of £20 its worth getting it done.

Id stick with what ren recommend with all the warranty claims on boxes , its an easy out for them if the wrong oil is used .

Save starting a new thread, to the people that have changed their gearbox oil did you replace the drain plug seal with a new one?

If so where did you get it from?

Id stick with what ren recommend with all the warranty claims on boxes , its an easy out for them if the wrong oil is used .

My car is well out of warranty, so no issue for me. It's the correct grade of oil and meets the Renault recommendations so I can't see it being an issue anyway.

On that note, is it risky putting any addatives in the oil? friction reducer types i mean?

Opie oils are just down the road from me :biggrin:, ordered some Fuchs TITAN for collection on Wednesday when they are back open.

I did buy some Fuchs TITAN SINTOFLUID SAE 75W-80 but I have been doing lots of reading and I mean lots, some say not to use GL-5 and others say its fine but from reading what others have said changing to Fuchs has made no difference.

Then started to look at Redline and lots of people swear by it and say its made a big improvement, so I think I am going to upgrade/side step to Redline MT-90 or High Performance.

Will do a write up on my findings once I have used the car for a few days.