Best of the rest?

As obvious the opinion might be, we are all of the thinking (or mostly, should I say) that the Clio 197/200 is our favourite and highly considered best hot hatch.

However, if one were so inclined to not go down the Renault route - for whatever reason - what other hot hatch would you suggest and or advise to go for?

Put another way. If there were no such Renault Sport brand (gasp), what hot hatch (or any car, for that matter) would you buy?

Golf mk1/mk2 with a 1.8T lump / Honda DC5 or a EK9 type-r though I don't fit in Japanese cars usually :\

Hmm my vote would be for the astra VXR, jut that bit more hardy engine wise then the corsa but saying that the corsa nurburgring edition is good (just far too much money for what it is)

Also I quite fancy a fabia VRS.
So many choices out there. Id say a BINI cooper S but they are so common, seems like every one you see is an S.

Very kitch those but you need the esseesse pack on it IMO.

My dream hothatch at this point in time (how could I forget) DS3r.
I'd kill to own one.

Abarth 500 and claim it was the girlfriends or a mini gp :smile: woulnt have either after a 197 but are in place of the 197 if it wasent available :wink:

Oooh its hard, a fn2 civic ( would make it look like a mugen) mini gp ( the one with the orange mirrors ) the new clio williams when it out lol! R26r?

My mrs got a 500 abarth about a month ago well impressed with it needs more power but it's just got something about it that makes u laugh like a kid when u drive it lol. Other than my 200 I would have a s3 prob.

I have a Clio RS Gordini and a Golf GTI DSG.......Before the Clio RS I had a 500 abarth Esseesse (160 hp) an S2000 and an M3 (These 3 together, and now Golf and Clio).
The only car that I think is not so sporty is 500 Abarth esseesse. It's scary.......but not a good scary......The car is disconnected and the steering is awful. The sound is good and it is beautiful but not sporty......
In this category I think that there is nothing good as Clio RS. The Golf GTI is an astonishing car to use everyday. THe DSG is beautiful and the car is so easy quick that you can go from a point to another in a time that most car can only dream.....and this without any problem or hard work..
But If you want to push the car in a weekend enjoying a B road the Clio RS is a little over the GOLF GTI. The others of this category don't bother me.....are all without a soul.....:wink:

Last edited:
I've just gone to a 3 MPS, but not really comparable directly to the Clio IMO. Really like the MPS and suits my needs better now. If I had to buy something similar to the Clio I think I would be going for a Punto Abarth. Saw one the other day and it sounded amazing and looked so good. Italian sporty beast! Plus my mate has the normal Punto with the same 1.4 turbo (but with 120 hp) and even that goes some! Very nearly put me to shame in my Clio, but that's a long story!

Golf ed30 with DSG box. So understated, lose it in the car park but remap, intercooler and bits = 300bhp.

280hp is more realistic, they're a nice car though lack the turn in and grip of the Clio so very much a road car.

Downpipe, intake (ITG 'drainpipe') and fuel pump and your good for 320bhp (ish)

Problem is... no matter how many horses you give it, it still won't go around corners any better!