Bent rear axle?

mr angry

Paid Member
Aw man, this car keeps giving me issues....suppose it was cheap for a reason.

The o/s/r/ wheel sits further into the arch than the n/s one. The top of the o/s/r wheel sits a good bit further in castor wise. I noticed this when buying the car, however put it down to a possible broken spring. I had a closer look today and the springs are fine (I renewed them) so I am suspecting a bent rear axle. Are all the rear axles on mk3 clios the same or model specific?

There seems to be mounting brackets on either side of the beam, is it more common for these to bend or the steel angle section of the axle.

I have just had the wheels powder coated and for new put on so no point in trying to align it with such a camber difference.

The Clio 197 axles are 20mm wider than standard Clio axles so it's a 197 or 200 axle needed. I had a guy in N.Ireland fixing one and he kept getting the wrong ones so I picked him up one when I was in England.

Reactions: mr angry
Im no mechanic but id estimate the stub axles would bend before the axle. Worth getting the car on for basic 4 wheel tracking, it should show it being out. If its a few degrees you can get camber and toe shims from Pure Motorsport.

Im no mechanic but id estimate the stub axles would bend before the axle. Worth getting the car on for basic 4 wheel tracking, it should show it being out. If its a few degrees you can get camber and toe shims from Pure Motorsport.
I’d buy new stub axles if they are bent... your post almost reads like you’d shim it if it was bent... which I don’t think you meant, if the axle is actually twisted somehow I’d defo replace it rather than shim it also...

I am going to collect a rear beam from a guy in Fife tomorrow and to be honest hadn't even considered the possibility of the rear hub carrier being bent. I have had a look on ebay and euro for replacement ones but cant see any?

Reactions: Dumdum
What I mean is start small and work up. Why replace a rear beam if a stub axle is bent? Also, if its a few degrees out a camber shim would work, although not ideal. More than that, I would investigate further.

No-one produces the stub axles from memory except Renault. They are over £200 a corner and 2nd hand ones are often as rotten as original.

What I mean is start small and work up. Why replace a rear beam if a stub axle is bent? Also, if its a few degrees out a camber shim would work, although not ideal. More than that, I would investigate further.

No-one produces the stub axles from memory except Renault. They are over £200 a corner and 2nd hand ones are often as rotten as original.
It is well out as you can see it with the car on the ground with the wheels on.

It is well out as you can see it with the car on the ground with the wheels on.

In which case shims wont work but it is worth checking both stub axles as a just in case. If one is good some compare like with like, if its that pronounced on the car it will be obvious.

Picked up another beam today along with a complete o/s/r hub assembly. Working over the weekend so Monday will be changing it over and hopefully get it sorted.

What does the car feel like when driving? Does the rear move about at all or is it smooth?

The difference is night and day. The car was previously very unstable as the geometry was miles out. That said it still isn't perfect as I need to replace one of the lower swivel joints before getting the front wheel alignment sorted, but the rear beam was badly bent and drived a lot better now.

Reactions: Dumdum
Did it drive like one of the wheels was egg shaped?
No, It was just very unstable when cornering. Also you could see that one of the rear wheels was well in at the top.

I laid out the old axle on top of the replacement and both looked to be the same, however when some measurements were taken from fixed points on the beam there was a 25mm difference apparent on the offside that couldn't be seen with the eye.

Similar Thread Suggestions