Back Ache from seats!

Both myself and my wife have been getting really bad back ache from the standard seats in my Clio 197!

Does anyone else have this problem in their's? Will we get used to it, or do we have the seats set wrong?

Thanks!

I went on a course for a big company regarding setting up your car seat, as so many people were taking time off due to back issues.

I now notice about 98% of people set their seat wrong,

as a guide you should be able to place your wrists onto of the steering wheel, and have equal pressure on your back in three points, so as not to put to much pressure on the bottom part, people always set lumber to hard also, you should not be able to feel the lumber support.

but the common mistake it not to bring the steering wheel close enough and to set the seat to steep.

And relax, so many people sit on the seat not in it, relax into the seat while driving.

Last edited:
i have my seat quite up right as i find that the comphy-ist position for me, ( 3 o,clock position ). i never get back ache even on a 5 hour drive to holiday. :wink:

If it's to upright you will put all the pressure on the base of your spine and you also rock side to side more.

but you only have to tilt it a little to get a nice even pressure down your back.

a lot of problems come from people not relaxing in their seat and being tense, ie sitting forward on the seat, so even though it ajusted correctly, people sit in it wrong.

or as i say over reaching for the steering wheel,
manufactures spend a lot of time/ money and effort on seats,

depends

can you put your wrists on the top of the steering wheel ?

I find I have to pull the steering wheel forward in all my cars.