Oil pan refitting - help with bolt torque settings (image attached)

Antti O

Gold Member
Hi

I am assembling my oil pan back in car.
Why bolts 3,4,5,6 will be only 15nm and all other bolts should be 18nm.

big.jpg

Last edited:
Yes , i have that instruction..
But my question is should i torque all bolts 18nm. (Final torque)

Did not read it properly I guess it could be the gasket thickness that makes the torque different at that point or the gearbox bolts at that end pulling sideways as it is not a standard pan style more casting at that end.

i wouldnt loose any sleep over 3nm.....your torque wrench could be out by more than that...

Okay. Lets tell little story about this day.
I did refit sump with all correct torques. Then i thought it is good idea to re-check all sump bolt torques with torque wrench, couple of 1/4" extensions and etorx 8. All went fine.. but when i put my tool in those 4 bolts which are located next to flywheel (deep in those tubes).. then the fun part
socket fell off from my extension near bolt head, okay not problem BUT it fell straight in to clutch housing where flywheel is. You can see from picture that there is straight open port from bolt head to flywheel area... :smiley:
How stupid design is that. Next to my local tool store to buy etorx 8 socket, and then oil pan off again. Then re-install, torque.. blah. There is some days i doubt my mechanic skills.

big.jpg

Okay, now it is assembled. Some beer.

big.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: sevenfourate