Lambda Headache

petercronin

Paid Member
Without going into too much detail and causing you all headaches too - has anyone heard of or seen one of these fitted with two of the same part number lambda sensors? Everything I’ve seen suggests they should be different but my car isn’t.

Also does anybody know if the sensors read any differently between part numbers or is it simply a matter of plugs and wire lengths being different and the ecu works it all out? I may be overthinking this but I’m concerned that putting the same part number sensor in both positions may confuse the car.

Thanks.

Thanks @Foxspeed but this is part of the problem, I’ve searched a lot for info about this, this is part of one message I’ve sent to RPD asking for help;

“The original fit on the car seems to have been two 8200437489 sensors which was mis-read when ordering. Both plugs on the car loom are rectangle shape so we need to return the 7700107433 (it has an oval plug) that was originally ordered and identify the correct one if possible.

Renault have said it should have pre-cat 7700107433 and post-cat 8200830903. The 903 sensor according to your listing has the marking of 0258010110 which is also the same marking on the 489 sensor. So we assume they should be the same, do you know???

Do you know if there is another part number that can fitted in the pre cat position which also has a rectangle plug.

Thank you for any help you can provide we’d much appreciate it.”

They’ve suggested to just replace it with the same number again so I’ll have two of the same part numbered sensors fitted to the car.

It’s been going on a while and I just haven’t had time to look properly at it. The car is running like crap when cold and the rear sensor had a fault code. I’ve replaced the rear but haven’t had a chance to try it from cold yet with being away from home. I was going to replace both at the same time but couldn’t (as you’ll have read above) and it’s had me confused since with them both being the same number. I’ve only ever heard of these with different numbers.

I suppose my main question is should it matter what part number sensor is where as long as it fits and is a Renault / Bosch one. The car has been running fine so I assume yes? I just find it odd that it has the same sensors in both positions.

Generally if it fits in the plug and the grey/Black/white wires are in the same holes they will work just fine, most lambdas will interchange/are the same and give the same readings regardless of pre or post cat (obviously different readings in different places, but will work in either), only difference being wiring positions in plugs and plugs themselves

Obviously wide band lambdas are different also

Generally if it fits in the plug and the grey/Black/white wires are in the same holes they will work just fine, most lambdas will interchange/are the same and give the same readings regardless of pre or post cat (obviously different readings in different places, but will work in either), only difference being wiring positions in plugs and plugs themselves

Obviously wide band lambdas are different also

Thanks for that. I was assuming that was the case as mine has been fine until recently. It was just confusing as to why and how mine had two of the same part number sensor fitted when I’ve only ever heard of them having two different ones. Well if it’s still running like crap I’ll take the punt and buy another one for the front.