Astonished at how cheap our cars now r

for the moment mines staying as i could afford another car but with not working i would just be wasting money i might need to live on!

got rid of the second car as it was older and a diesel and i will have to do a lot of miles to spend all the money it cost me to run and what i got for it (8500miles) - so in effect my running costs this year are near zero...

clio4 rs is going to be a turbo 5dr and to be honest thats not for me as the kids are grown up and theres only mainly me in the thing so if i change it will be.....megane 265/280/300 or quite like the new fiesta st thats due out :thumbup1:

The snobbery that exists on forums. lol Trust me some people think clio's or any 'fast hatch' are chav full stop!!!! Jap, dub, ford all see the world of cars very different. Even the fact that they are french is looked down on.

I'm old enough to remember and come from a background where parents didn't have spendable income, savings or credit cards. No way at 19/20 could someone get finance (outside of your parents) to buy a 15 grand car. What you did is you made the most of what you got and made it individual to you.

Now if people want something, they get their creditcard out or finance it. Even moddin'. They finance the car, then finance the mods because its now easier that way.

I'm sure I was frowned on at 19 driving a very badly modded opel manta (cause thats what I could afford) by those who could afford to buy the GTE.

I sure I'm not alone on here....I've seen the pictures of peoples prev cars!!!!! lol

Last edited:
The snobbery that exists on forums. lol Trust me some people think clio's or any 'fast hatch' are chav full stop!!!! Jap, dub, ford all see the world of cars very different.

I'm old enough to remember and come from a background where parents didn't have spendable income, savings or credit cards. No way at 19/20 could someone get finance (outside of your parents) to buy a 15 grand car. What you did is you made the most of what you got and made it individual to you.

Now if people want something, they get their creditcard out or finance it. Even moddin'. They finance the car, then finance the mods because its now easier that way.

I'm sure I was frowned on at 19 driving a very badly modded opel manta (cause thats what I could afford) by those who could afford to buy the GTE.

I not sure I not alone on here....I've seen the pictures of peoples prev cars!!!!! lol

totally agree with some of that as my first 2 cars were a red nova sr and then a mk2 golf gti with a pulsar bonnet looked awesome to me. But the point that u r gettin confused on is not snobbery its the fact that some of us r obviously a bit peeved that we paid a fortune for these cars but now they r gonna get draged through the mud a bit becuase they r dropping in price so much. Thats all some of us are saying

totally agree with some of that as my first 2 cars were a red nova sr and then a mk2 golf gti with a pulsar bonnet looked awesome to me. But the point that u r gettin confused on is not snobbery its the fact that some of us r obviously a bit peeved that we paid a fortune for these cars but now they r gonna get draged through the mud a bit becuase they r dropping in price so much. Thats all some of us are saying

Thats economics my friend.....and reflected in every aspect of life. How much would a flat screen TV cost 5 years ago? Be glad you didn't pay over 20 grand+ for a Siverstone, Raider or Gordini new!!!! Cause you'd have no choice but to keep it!!!!

Also I think people get into finance deals like PCP's that lock you into keeping with the marque because your faced with a massive balloon payment at the end of it. Easier to pass that payment onto the new model....much harder to walk away

Last edited:
Thats economics my friend.....and reflected in every aspect of life. How much would a flat screen TV cost 5 years ago? Be glad you didn't pay over 20 grand+ for a Raider or Gordini!!!! Cause you'd have no choice but to keep it!!!!

Yea true mate good point. u also made another good point there about the dinis. Me and the wee man were at the ren sport garage a few weeks ago and they had 2 dinis one had 2000ish miles on the clock and they were selling it for just over 12gs the othere had 11000 miles on it and it was under 10grand. Amagine how much the poor owners of them got on a trade in

Yea true mate good point. u also made another good point there about the dinis. Me and the wee man were at the ren sport garage a few weeks ago and they had 2 dinis one had 2000ish miles on the clock and they were selling it for just over 12gs the othere had 11000 miles on it and it was under 10grand. Amagine how much the poor owners of them got on a trade in

Lost either big deposits or basically because of the Balloon payment on PCP's ended up handing the car back and walking away. To me that's like you've just hired the car for 4 years?

Lost either big deposits or basically because of the Balloon payment on PCP's ended up handing the car back and walking away. To me that's like you've just hired the car for 4 years?

True i got my megane on PCP and feel because i was still young and it was my first shot at finance i feel i was very misinformed on what PCP actually was (never again). I was that nieve that when sorting out the miles per year to 10000 i asked the salesman what will happen if i go over the miles and he answered nothing i wouldnt worry about it, lol the joys of being young never again. They really draw u in with those deals

I've had my 197 for 2.5 years and will keep it for at least that long again. Luckly I bought it for a very good price and it has only depreciated by about £2k so far.

I must be getting old (birthday again next week!!!) because I can really see myself in a more relaxing fast cruiser but every time I get in my 197, I know that it's the pace to be and as I only do 5000 miles a year I treat them as fun miles.

I think that the 197/200 community is shielded a bit as the cars are so rare (especially the 197s), aren't that fast (to most crap drivers) and cost a lot to modify.

I also find that I no longer visit Cliosport.net because of all the trolling and as long as the community here remains friendly, supportive and well moderated, things should be good for a good few years yet.

No where the **** is my pipe and slippers!!!

I've had my 197 for 2.5 years and will keep it for at least that long again. Luckly I bought it for a very good price and it has only depreciated by about £2k so far.

I must be getting old (birthday again next week!!!) because I can really see myself in a more relaxing fast cruiser but every time I get in my 197, I know that it's the pace to be and as I only do 5000 miles a year I treat them as fun miles.

I think that the 197/200 community is shielded a bit as the cars are so rare (especially the 197s), aren't that fast (to most crap drivers) and cost a lot to modify.

I also find that I no longer visit Cliosport.net because of all the trolling and as long as the community here remains friendly, supportive and well moderated, things should be good for a good few years yet.

No where the **** is my pipe and slippers!!!

very well put mate :thumbup:

I think i'll be keeping mine a while longer too. It's not worth selling it to be honest. I don't think for the money i'll get for it there is anything out there that i would want to buy. I've had mine over 3 years now.

Mine is a keeper for the long term. It's only just on 13k and is lucky if it does 1k per year so it's going nowhere.

It's all nice and safe sat in my garage. And as I don't owe a penny on it it's nice to have to go for a blast on a sunny day and (sad though it might be) I love cleaning it and keeping it mint.

:thumbup1: