Anyone tell me my exhaust set up?

karbonCup

Paid Member
Purchased the car last week and in the middle of fully gutting the car and working out whats what.

Waiting for it to go on a ramp to get a good look around the entire car and mainly underneath but any ideas on what its currently got?

Previous owner was clueless about set up so having to work out whats standard and whats not. It is pretty loud but then I'm used to stripped and loud systems.

Looks like cats have been dissected. Workmanship looks shocking actually with what looks like Welds/ GumGum all over the place and middle section not so straight. Is this normal. Thoughts? Likely to remove for full Cup or R3 system anyway but be good to know whats going on here.

There is a brand name or something on the silencer that's really hard to make out. Looks like it says longlife or something similar? What could that be?

There is a brand name or something on the silencer that's really hard to make out. Looks like it says longlife or something similar? What could that be?

Yeah backbox stays Longlife. Not heard of it before. Maybe popular in the Renault world, who knows?

Ugh what a mess. You going to get a system?
I know, cant imagine a garage doing this. Likely the previous owner did a DIY jobbie, still no excuses especially for a track car. Need to be even more meticulous IMO.

Elaborate on the 'get a system'?

Well I meant are you going to get another exhaust system, like a cat back? Scorpion, ktec etc...

Well I meant are you going to get another exhaust system, like a cat back? Scorpion, ktec etc...

oh, yeah as mentioned it will be likely be replaced with Genuine Renault Cup or R3. Only issue would be what db readings they will return.

longlife are a custom exhaust company that have franchise dealerships around the country.
i have had a couple of 182 systems from them over the years and they have always been spot on.
there is no way that left a longlife centre looking like that! lol

Nah def isn't the Pure system. But yep it has the same design though in terms of full straight through system and baffled rear box.

By the way if you are looking at genuine Renault RS systems, the R3 won't fit unless you also get the manifold because the manifold finishes further down the car. Only the Cup Racer one will fit upto the stock manifold. If you just want an R3 'style' exhaust - get the Oreca from Ktec as that's desgined to fit stock.

Long-Life make custom exhaust around here, they are usually provided with a lifetime warranty too which says can be transferred to new owners, strange how the previous owner didn't know.

By the way if you are looking at genuine Renault RS systems, the R3 won't fit unless you also get the manifold because the manifold finishes further down the car. Only the Cup Racer one will fit upto the stock manifold. If you just want an R3 'style' exhaust - get the Oreca from Ktec as that's desgined to fit stock.
thanks for the heads up. I hadn't looked into the R3 system in great depth yet to notice the variation. I am more towards getting just the back box first. More towards the Cup Racer twin pipe, although weight of the single pipe from R3 temps me due to further weight reduction. Assume these can be direct bolt ons to existing intermediate.

Long-Life make custom exhaust around here, they are usually provided with a lifetime warranty too which says can be transferred to new owners, strange how the previous owner didn't know.

The current 'Longlife' back box has nothing wrong with it, I was merely stressing my concerns to only the front sections up to the back box unless of course the whole system is made by 'Longlife'

Last edited:
thanks for the heads up. I hadn't looked into the R3 system in great depth yet to notice the variation. I am more forwards getting just the back box first. More towards the Cup Racer twin pipe, although weight of the single pipe from R3 temps me due to further weight reduction. Assume these can be direct bolt ons to existing intermediate.

None of it is really bolt on because the OE system is single piece and also none of the Cup Racer and R3 setups are really that interchangeable because they are differing in lengths.

Here are the various versions though, just bare in mind the R3 Maxi system is shorter than the Cup Racer and R3 Access system (which looks stock actually) due to the extra length of the R3 manifold.

R3 Maxi (and Maxi Evo):
r3-maxi-exh.jpg

R3 Access:
r3-access-exh.jpg

Cup Racer:
cup-racer-exh.jpg

Oh and all of these will be loud and in my opionon sound pants on a road car. I had a setup that was R3 manifold, sports cat, straight through centre, supersprint racing rear. So a hybrid between R3 Maxi & Cup Racer in effect - horrible, so raspy. Would have sounded ok in a forest perhaps but not in the public! Stuck a centre silencer in and took the rasp out - much better.

Thanks Rich for your input. I have studied these illustrations but the length was overlooked. I'll look into it. Mine will be a converted race car for track and fully stripped awaiting for roll cage. Anyway what is wrong with a little Rasp? How did you manage to fit the R3 Manifold with a non gen RS cat inline. Any idea on db reading on track?

Everything is wrong with a little rasp! Unless you are living back in the 90's and own a ropey looking Honda? :lol:

R3 fitting...

Noise, not mesasured as it was then, but it will have been around 100Db probably more - it was insane. It was 93/94Db with the standard manifold and standard cat with the straight through system and Supersprint backbox. When I put the R3 manifold on and replaced the OE cat for a sports cat - it got a whole lot louder hence I reckon about 100Db.