ANPR/Speed Camera Van.. Help?!

Hi guys,

Was driving down a dual carriageway on the way back from Tesco earlier in a 40, at roughly about 52-53 mph, when I saw the car in front of me heavily brake about 60 metres away from an ANPR van parked in the central reservation..

It looked like this...

htsqdx.jpg

I slowed down quickly, still about 60-50 metres away and slowed to the 40mph limit..

A few of my friends have said ANPR vans can't do you for speeding, is this true?

If I were to have been caught at that speed, what fine would I get?

The cameras in that are not for speed detection they are number plate recognition cameras. It is possibly a DVLA enforcement vehicle or something your local police are operating. The left one is monitoring approaching traffic and the right one is for receding traffic, they are fixed position unlike a speed video laser which the operative can move.

You need to look a bit further than the end of your bonnet, how you miss that from even 500m away let alone 60m is worrying!

Last edited:
The cameras in that are not for speed detection they are number plate recognition cameras. It is possibly a DVLA enforcement vehicle or something your local police are operating.
You need to look a bit further than the end of your bonnet, how you miss that from even 500m away let alone 60m is worrying!

So they can't do you at all for speed?

It was hard to spot as there was HGV's in front and it was parked in the middle of the road after a progressive bend, it'd have been difficult to see it even without the other vehicles there tbh

No, the video laser system is completely different, it has a conventional SLR camera type zoom lens. The operative places a red dot over your number plate, locks your speed in then zooms in with you as you approach to get a nice mugshot of you :smile:

Tax, insurance etc not speedin

Let it be a lesson learnt!

Thanks guys, in all fairness I don't really speed about anyway and it was just the odd occasion where I was a tad over the limit. It's so different in the Meg to the Clio as you don't realise how fas you're going.

I've just checked with my mate who's Dad is a copper in a different town and he said ANPR is nothing to worry about, it can only do the above ^