Another 197 gearbox issue!

As much as i hate my first post to be this one...it's a gearbox issue! :worried: I was on a track day at the weekend, car was going great until I came into the pits. Went to put the car into second gear only to find second gear is now 4[SUP]th[/SUP] gear! Tried first gear, it goes in but it is now 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] gear! I manage to get back to the car park, park the car up for 10 minutes then try to give it another go. Went to reverse out of the space and reverse is, yep, you guessed it, 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] gear!!

So the current gear situation is – reverse is 3[SUP]rd[/SUP], reverse and down (which was previously no gear of course!) is 4[SUP]th[/SUP] gear!, 1[SUP]st[/SUP] gear is 3[SUP]rd[/SUP], 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] gear is 4[SUP]th[/SUP], 5[SUP]th[/SUP] gear is 5[SUP]th[/SUP] and 6[SUP]th[/SUP] gear is 6[SUP]th[/SUP]!

No 1[SUP]st[/SUP] gear, no 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] gear and no reverse gear.

The gearbox was only rebuilt a few weeks ago after the 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] gear syncro going (as they all seem to do!)

So the question I have is, what do you think has caused this issue?

Is it the linkage (what I’m desperately hoping!!) not been put on correctly or working loose, the selector fork, the shaft or worse?!

did you refit the box yourself? if not I would speak to those that did and also the garage who refurbed the box.

did you refit the box yourself? if not I would speak to those that did and also the garage who refurbed the box.

No, a garage i know removed/refitted the box and a third party company rebuilt the gearbox internals.

If it's the linkage i know it won't be a major drama, if it's the box and it needs to come back out again it probably will!

Does sound like the linkage

I have everything crossed that it is! :blush:hmy:

It feels as if the linkage is not moving to the left hand side of the gate at the gearbox end meaning every gear is from 3rd onwards. I really hope it's nothing internal.

Have a look under battery tray! Remove battery/ tray and air box. The linkages may off popped out. Mine did the same. They clip in place .

I'd take it back where the gearbox was refurbished..that way you will keep your warranty..if you start messing about with it you might loose it...

These have a cable linkage don't they? I know cable linkages can be a pain to get just right (my dads kitcar has one with the civic type r engine gearbox, took ages to get the cables mounted in the right position.

I had this problem with one of the cables coming out the housing slightly at Brands Hatch in qualifying and where 5th should have been it was 3rd,there just a plastic spring clip so can pop out,I now have them both cable tied to the mounting point just In case, can't beat belt and braces ha ha

Excellent news! Pulled the battery and tray out and it's the plastic clip on the linkage that's snapped!

Thanks for the advice guys!

Similar Thread Suggestions