...and I thought being keyed was bad...

I went to my friend's house tonight, parked outside their house in the street. 5 minutes later I hear an almighty bang and a car alarm going off... it sounded like mine.

As I dashed to the window I saw a light blue Ka which has been reversed into my car from the driveway opposite. He then proceeded to speed off!!

So, I very calmly (somehow!) walked across the street and knocked on the door of the house. It turns out that it was a 19YO kid. I was told he wouldn't have sped off and would have stopped if he'd heard the impact... and alarm...

Anyway, his Mum went to get him and when he got back he was too scared to get out of his car at first, until his Dad got there. Luckily he admitted full responsibility and I have his details, and we are both with the same insurer.

How does the process work from here? Do I just call them tomorrow and inform them? Do I have to find my own bodyshop? Someone said I will have to pay my excess - I don't see why I should, is that right?

I wasn't angry at the time, the lad was obviously sorry and started crying, but driving home not being able to see out of my wing mirror didn't help, and now I'm seething.

Bad times.

P1010962.jpg

P1010963.jpg

This happened to me a few months ago, I just phoned my insurer told them what happened, they then contacted the 3 party, in my case another insurer, but yours shouldn't take to long since your with the same company, they offered me to pay my excess to get the work done straight away and when responsibility was comfirmed they would refund it my excess, my excess was £700 so I just waited, took about 2 months tho. In my case they offered me one of their approved bodyshops but I had the option to take the car to whatever company I wanted, they also offered to get me a hire car which isnt part of my policy, but because it wasnt my fault they got me one.

So annoying aint it!! Hope you get is sorted ok m8...

Last edited:
....that's the trouble with black cars....19yo drivers can't see them at night!! Suprised you could hear your alarm....mine is pathetic!

just phone your insurance.
give them his details.
as said to get in done as quick as poss, you pay the excess to get the car back and then they refund you when all is settled.

Gutted for you mate. It's typical, the more that we look after our cars the more likely it is that something bad happens.

Thanks.

It's all being sorted pretty efficiently so far. No excess to pay as we're with the same insurer and he's admitted liability.

Car is being dropped off at a bodyshop (which is apparently decent) on Thursday, and Enterprise are picking me up to give me a courtesy car... like for like is apparently an Insignia!?!?

I don't care as long as it's sorted. This car seems to be cursed though :worried:

sorry to see your car like this mate,

just hope you get it sorted as soon as poss tbh,

at least he has admitted it which makes it alot easier, and your with the same insurance company.

I'd have put it in your own choice of body shop, your not at fault and he has admited liability, so should have got a courtesy car regardless,

But it is shit when this happens, as you will now have to declare for the next 3 years that car has been in an accident regardless it's nt your fault! Happend to me :worried:

World of hurt, I feel for you. Check that your insurer is booking the car in with a FINANCIALLY STABLE repair centre or like me, your car will be impounded by the administrators of that repairer until further notice.

Direct Line are going through some legal debate to retrieve cars (including mine) currently being held by a useless outfit in Birmingham. Meantime I am on the bus or worse still in the wife's Punto.

World of hurt, I feel for you. Check that your insurer is booking the car in with a FINANCIALLY STABLE repair centre or like me, your car will be impounded by the administrators of that repairer until further notice.

Direct Line are going through some legal debate to retrieve cars (including mine) currently being held by a useless outfit in Birmingham. Meantime I am on the bus or worse still in the wife's Punto.

That's terrible....surely its a simple case that you can prove the car does not belong to the body shop!!

Russ do you know of an excellent bodyshop near you if so request it goes there.

'Approved bodyshop' is industry language for cheap as poss! FACT!

That's terrible....surely its a simple case that you can prove the car does not belong to the body shop!!

Which bit, the car or the wife's Punto? :smile:

You would have thought so but Direct Line want to do everything by the book so they have asked me to desist with going there with spare keys and helping myself. It's up to them to sort it, they have until the end of today or they have to get me a hire car whilst this carp goes on.

oh no!! I bet your gutted. Sorry to hear about it Russ.

It is best to choose your own bodyshop, i did when someone drove into me. The ones the insurance company pick for you are normally the cheapest, which normally means a poor job :worried:
Think yourself lucky with an Insignia, i had a Corsa twinport when my ZR went in to be repaired... :blush:

sorry to hear it mate, absolutely gutting. all you can hope is they get it sorted soon as possible. least you can look forward to getting it back and going for that first fast drive lol!

gutted for you mate. I'd be soooo angry with the little f****r, accidents happen which I understand but have the balls and decency to own up to it, really makes me mad.

Hope you get it sorted soon

Thanks for the kind words people :smile:

This bodyshop is decent apparently, so I'll take my chances with it. I'll inspect it within an inch of its life anyway, and take Midlands Detailing along too to give it a once over.

They can do it again if it's not good enough :smile: