Am I mad to consider meg engine conversion.....

I have got a 15 month old 200 which has done 3,500 miles and already got cat cams, remap, induction kit and akro evo exhaust but its not enough.

I love the car so dont want to get rid and the cost to change is silly, so there is the supercharger option but the engine will need forging to get 300bhp+ or the meg conversion to get 300bhp+ which would cover uprated running gear etc but seems wrong to do this to a "new" car with sourced second hand bits if you know where i'm coming from.

Opinions from people who have done both and others would be great.

Cheers

Personally, if the cars a 62 plate with just 3,500 miles I'd be selling the car and buying an older one to do the conversion on.

The warranty etc is basically out the window, so it's pointless doing that to an already expensive car.

I'd sell the Clio and parts, as it'll be a limited market for a new car with mods as they void warranty, and 99% people only buy new to have the warranty etc.

Then I'd go buy a 09-59 plate and go balls out on it with a conversion

Do you have Recaros etc? Cup pack? Assuming you do, the car should be worth around the £13,000-13,500 mark still.

you can buy an 09-59 for 7.5-8K now. Then the 3-4K on mods.

Last edited:
You'd be mad not to do it.. lol

I started nodding my 200 from new. The way I see it is you have 2 options..

Option 1 is to wait until you are out of warranty, do whatever mods you want and pay for anything that goes wrong..

Or

Option 2: Sod the warranty, mod to your hearts content and pay for anything that goes wrong...

Simples..

I want to do this to my 197, but looking at the costs, around £3000 at least to get the power i would want makes me just wonder whether to buy just a quicker car like an audi rs4

It has got cup pack and recaro's, not really worried about warranty as I started modding it at 700miles.

Had a test drive in a RS3 a couple of days ago, liked the power but was a bit heavy and woolley.

RS4's had a couple of these and modded the hell out of the last one but was still a very fast barge (Bi-turbo)

This is a fun car for weekends but want more power.

It has got cup pack and recaro's, not really worried about warranty as I started modding it at 700miles.

Had a test drive in a RS3 a couple of days ago, liked the power but was a bit heavy and woolley.

RS4's had a couple of these and modded the hell out of the last one but was still a very fast barge (Bi-turbo)

This is a fun car for weekends but want more power.

Yeah i feel exactly the same, I love the handling of the clio's but straight line not great. I miss that from my old evo 8.

If your not bothered about warranty then you'd be mad not to, it's a new car, so you know the components are new and not worn and it should be a straigh, clean car if it's been looked after from new

If your not bothered about warranty then you'd be mad not to, it's a new car, so you know the components are new and not worn and it should be a straigh, clean car if it's been looked after from new

Just seen your sig and you have the same car as me lol, what you have said is what i'm thinking as in the car has all new components with only me and the mrs having used it so just have to find the newest meg front end possible to make it sensible in my head.

Also the depreciation I will suffer just to change the car would cover the conversion !!!!!! In my warped logic

Sounds like you've sealed the deal.

remember that you'd get a fair wack back for your Clio engine with cams etc in it :smile:

Or just buy a meg? Got all the handling, fun and everything of the clio but better build quality, an engine already in place with the extra power you are after?

Mine only has a remap done and that alone has the car up to some yummy figures

Or just buy a meg? Got all the handling, fun and everything of the clio but better build quality, an engine already in place with the extra power you are after?

Thats a fair comment but I prefer the size and look of the Clio but want more power and to be different from the majority.

Last edited:

Thats a fair comment but I prefer the size and look of the Clio but want more power and to be different from the majority.

I have got a 15 month old 200 which has done 3,500 miles and already got cat cams, remap, induction kit and akro evo exhaust but its not enough.

I love the car so dont want to get rid and the cost to change is silly, so there is the supercharger option but the engine will need forging to get 300bhp+ or the meg conversion to get 300bhp+ which would cover uprated running gear etc but seems wrong to do this to a "new" car with sourced second hand bits if you know where i'm coming from.

Opinions from people who have done both and others would be great.

Cheers

Its a great conversion, and mines been in two years in August. The only advice I'd offer you is do your homework and use a garage thats done a few of these. I used SteC who's done more than most, and if he hasn't done them, he's certainly played some part in putting the conversion together. The conversion is still developing and I'm still looking to push it a little further. Hopefully next year, if I've still got it might see 340 bhp.