Akrapovic Evo or Custom Air Intake

What mod

• Akrapovic Evo

Votes: 24 88.9%
  • Air Intake

Votes: 3 11.1%

• Total voters
Hello,

I'm going to do my first mod to my girlfriend's Clio 200 ( finally ).

There are two options (with there advantages and disavantages)

1) Custom Air Intake (like the one user Chemist has)

+ I like the sound more than the one of an exhaust
+ Cheaper (about half the price of the Akra )

- Powerloss unknown?
- Remap needed?

2) Akrapovic Evo

+ Akrapovic
+ Definitely no power loss? Perhaps a guaranteed gain?

- Excessive price
- Not legal in Belgium ( nut none of my issues until 2015 )

What would you guys do?

Both? :smile: The custom air intake is more like 15% of the price of the Akrapovic. You only need a K&N filter and some 3" pipe.

It all depends on budget. Personally i like the sound from the standard exhaust so cant see me replacing that until its close to rotting off really.

Plus im not keen on the idea of having to cut the standard exhaust to remove and then be in a situation of not being able to revert back in future if needed (without welding the cut).

It all depends on budget. Personally i like the sound from the standard exhaust so cant see me replacing that until its close to rotting off really.

Plus im not keen on the idea of having to cut the standard exhaust to remove and then be in a situation of not being able to revert back in future if needed (without welding the cut).

Not welding required mate. Exhaust sleeve will do the trick.

hard to say as its not exactly 'apples for apples' is it

maybe do the induction kit 1st then if you dont like go for an exhaust. there are different exhausts on the market. doesnt have to be an Akro

try Milltek, Piper, K-Tec, Supersprint

A

hard to say as its not exactly 'apples for apples' is it

maybe do the induction kit 1st then if you dont like go for an exhaust. there are different exhausts on the market. doesnt have to be an Akro

try Milltek, Piper, K-Tec, Supersprint

A

The air intake would cost me about 570€, that 491 pounds, for something called RAM air.

I am afraid that it will result in power loss.

Otherwise I would do it.

I am opting for an Akrapovic, because Millteks seem to rattle and resonate.

Last edited:
each to there own, even the exhaust wont increase power by much, Noddie what did yours make on the rollers before and after? Think i remember you saying it wasn't near what Akrapovic had quoted. 2-3HP? Then a remap.

The air intake would cost me about 570€, that 491 pounds, for something called RAM air.

Motorcycles have that kind of airbox.

Do you have any pics? I'm presuming it's the R3 2009 airbox (it looks to me as the most similar thing to the motorcycle airboxes).

I voted for Akrapovic.

An Akrapovic system is over 1000 pounds, and the custom intake shouldn't cost over 200-250 pounds. So I don't see how you can compare these two :smile:

And BTW, I've dyno'd my car with and without the intake, and the result is exactly the same, so no power loss. But the car accelerates much smoother and the flat spot is gone :smile:

Last edited:
each to there own, even the exhaust wont increase power by much, Noddie what did yours make on the rollers before and after? Think i remember you saying it wasn't near what Akrapovic had quoted. 2-3HP? Then a remap.

197 before and 201 after so not the 10 that Akra quote. Car aint remapped. Exhaust only.

197 before and 201 after so not the 10 that Akra quote. Car aint remapped. Exhaust only.

Where did you come up with 10? Last time I've checked Akra was quoting power gains of 8HP@4300rpm (13Nm@4200rpm) for Evo system. Without remap... Engine is more responsive - I love it! :wink:

If it was only for the money, I'd take the intake anytime.

Problem is that I contacted madeno racing too ( madenoracing.com ). They said that they also had an air intake in their product range, but the product is on hold right now.

It seems that Clio's can have several versions of ECU software. Some cars gained some hp, others lost horsepower, without any real cause. They're investigating the problem, and until the intake isn't sold anymore.

That's what bothers me to take the intake straight away ;/ What if I have ECU problems with an air intake like this?