Air Intake with no filter

Hi all, just wondering if anyone tried to drive the car with no air filter or airbox, just a straight pipe from intake behind the light.
I know that all the Vtec maniac are doing it for a race. just mounting it somewhere that wont suck all the dirt.

What are ur thoughts. i mean the car can take the most air in at that setup? There must be some improvements?

A friend of mine with the Civic TypeR EP3 got <5bhp with that setup. We used my girlfriends stockings as a "filter" just in front of his throttle body. :smiley:

However, I don't know how it would work with our cars and bloody Sagem ECU.

A friend of mine with the Civic TypeR EP3 got <5bhp with that setup. We used my girlfriends stockings as a "filter" just in front of his throttle body. :smiley:

However, I don't know how it would work with our cars and bloody Sagem ECU.

Ye but did u drive the car for few hundred miles? Or u just put it and did dyno straight away?

I did it like that just before dyno on my megane 230 and i lost 9bhp? when i just put a cone filter, then i took the car for a ride, for 300km and then came back, and did it and the car did 7bhp more :smile:

But then again its a turbo car, but still ECU needs few hundred miles to set the right mixture once it has seen the change in the volume of the air sucked in...

Ye but did u drive the car for few hundred miles? Or u just put it and did dyno straight away?

I did it like that just before dyno on my megane 230 and i lost 9bhp? when i just put a cone filter, then i took the car for a ride, for 300km and then came back, and did it and the car did 7bhp more :smile:

But then again its a turbo car, but still ECU needs few hundred miles to set the right mixture once it has seen the change in the volume of the air sucked in...

He made ~1-2kkm with it, and then got it on the dyno. Had that setup for months. :smile:

If you over air the car without mapping it, don't you run the risk of over fuelling?

If you over air the car without mapping it, don't you run the risk of over fuelling?

You dont, because u have the sensor detecting how much air enters the manifold, and it ECU fixes the mixture but u need to drive the car for a while.
I donno, i am currently building the F7R 2.0 16v engine in the Renault 5 Gt turbo, and the car runs so much better without filter.

There was a new mercedes truck released a few years ago which had the air pipe riveted onto the back of the airbox. They started failing after a mere 5000 miles due to dust particles being drawn in through the centres of the rivets, for anyone who doesn't know thats about half a mm wide hole.

HGV engines are tough old boots aswell.

Is risking your engine really worth a 5bhp gain you won't even notice? Placebo at the best.