Advice on buying a house

Hello everyone. Being a great fan of procreation, I intend to make my wife pregnant with twins or 2 more babies before she hits forty (dont tell her as I will surprise her with the good news, even though men dont take the pill but never mind). Forty is the cut off as I dont want to be over 55 when my kids become teenagers if, God willing ofcaurce. As a result we intend to buy a bigger place.

My current commuting time is roughly 50min to 1h15min depending on what mood the M25 is in.

Do you guys think it would be worth commuting an extra 45 minutes if it meant getting a bigger place? A chap at work recently quit because he said after 18 years it got too much for him. God willing I should still have another 30 years of working life left in me so made me wonder how much of a role should commuting take when considering a house or should location trump the house?

I'm not sure I could cope with an hour commute, let alone considering adding an extra 45mins onto that!

You're effectively adding 3-4 hours onto your working day....

Personally id draw the line at anything over 45min each way unless it was for something incredibly appealing/worthwhile.

I'm with CallorFold, that is a hell of a commute every day and would really extend the working day... You may have a nice big house, but not so great if you don't get to spend much time in it :wink:

I think location should be the number one factor imo. My brother and his lass were in a similar situation to you very recently - nice big house available, but a long way from where they worked. In the end, they decided to hold out a few months and get somewhere local, close to work and also to friends and family etc.

Hello everyone. Being a great fan of procreation, I intend to make my wife pregnant with twins or 2 more babies before she hits forty (dont tell her as I will surprise her with the good news, even though men dont take the pill but never mind). Forty is the cut off as I dont want to be over 55 when my kids become teenagers if, God willing ofcaurce. As a result we intend to buy a bigger place.

My current commuting time is roughly 50min to 1h15min depending on what mood the M25 is in.

Do you guys think it would be worth commuting an extra 45 minutes if it meant getting a bigger place? A chap at work recently quit because he said after 18 years it got too much for him. God willing I should still have another 30 years of working life left in me so made me wonder how much of a role should commuting take when considering a house or should location trump the house?
Brilliant thread :smile:

The only time I would entertain a commute like that would be one way on a Monday and back again on. Friday.

On a daily basis , no , life's too short to spend 4 hours a day max commuting.

Also when the little ones arrive you will want to spend more time at home with them. Children crave time with their parents most of all and you will also want to spend tie with them.

An hour is enough. [MENTION=51107]Cailean[/MENTION] raises a good point.

You'll be too shattered Sat + Sun to do anything with the children and by the time you get home in the week, it'll be time for bed.

That will easily bring on depression mate, in turn, affecting your job.

Similar Thread Suggestions