Advice about gearbox and clutch cylinder please

I had the dreaded gearbox fault on my 197 and finally agreed on a discount and booked it in. However now im told by the dealer that its advised that I also have a new clutch slave cylinder due to the gearbox being changed and the cars age/ mileage. its 58 reg 40K miles just under. You will have to excuse my lack of car based engineering knowledge but does this seem legit, has anyone else had this or are they just trying to get me for more work. I don't remember reading about it on here when going through gearbox threads so just wondering.

any advice would be good before I part with the many gold coins they want for it.

Thanks

Yes it is advisable to replace at the same time as the clutch (I presume they are putting a new clutch in along with the gearbox?)

How much are they asking for it?

They didnt say anything about a new clutch just the slave cylinder. had no clutch problems in mine but understand why its advisable.

They want £460 but got them down to £300.

They are trying to rip you off mate. The part is only £130-140 and with the box off anyway it's no extra labour!

if the box is out/to be change then change the clutch and release bearing - just think of the cost if you didnt have it changed and a few months later something failed

as for cost only 30mins to change parts to new ones!

Thanks for all the replies i didnt think it was any extra labour as the box was already off. back to the phone for more complaining me thinks.

Thanks for all the replies i didnt think it was any extra labour as the box was already off. back to the phone for more complaining me thinks.

the clutch assembly is still a seperate item that needs unbolting and swapping etc even when the gearbox is removed...

they never replaced mine and i didnt get the option either and now i have to fork out £900 to change the clutch. Labour charges are £600 from renault

Hi,

As others have said it makes sense to change it as it will cost a lot in labour if you have to do it in the near future.

Cheers,
Harry!

Last edited:
CARM unit (concentric actuating release mechanism) needs replacing every time the box is removed or you have a high risk of them not working when it goes back together. Even when they're low mileage, they should be replaced every time.