Acoustic valve

Hello all,

I know this is another acoustic valve post but I've searched all the posts from this page and others and although I can find posts of people discussing various pipes and valves, I don't know which ones they are discussing. None of the posts have pictures or diagrams, if they did they are no longer available. Does anyone have a simple step by step instructions of how to remove the acoustic valve properly to increase exhaust noise without bringing on the EML??

Thank you.

Hello all,

I know this is another acoustic valve post but I've searched all the posts from this page and others and although I can find posts of people discussing various pipes and valves, I don't know which ones they are discussing. None of the posts have pictures or diagrams, if they did they are no longer available. Does anyone have a simple step by step instructions of how to remove the acoustic valve properly to increase exhaust noise without bringing on the EML??

Thank you.
I have disconnected the small pipe going in the top of the valve and I'm pretty sure that's all you need to remove.

I believe the valve is normally open until the engine is started and then the pressure through the small pipe closes it and it wont open until the revs have built up enough to push the spring open

I might be wrong but I think that's how it works and I think that's all you need to do to increase the sound

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

it uses vaccuum from the inlet manifold so dont leave any pipes un-bunged or it wont run..also best keep the control valve plugged in or you sometimes get eml warning light on

It's not a acoustic valve but a extra air inlet at higher rpms so that engine can breath better.

Enviado do meu SM-G950F através do Tapatalk

Its the horn-looking thing at the end of the inlet system, terminating behind one of the headlights. On my car, its behind the driver's side headlight since I have LHD. It bends back into the airbox. You'll find it bolted to the fender I think, right in front of that headlight when you open the hood.

Its the horn-looking thing at the end of the inlet system, terminating behind one of the headlights. On my car, its behind the driver's side headlight since I have LHD. It bends back into the airbox. You'll find it bolted to the fender I think, right in front of that headlight when you open the hood.
Thank you

Out of curiosity, what's the pros/cons of removing this valve? (sorry to hijack, just interested)
From what I've read it was put on due to European regulations (not UK), when taken off its supposed to make the car sound a bit louder and feel a bit more responsive, apparently??

If that is the case, let me know your thoughts when you've removed and if it's positive, I'm in! If/when you do get around to removing, could you take a few photos etc? :smile:

The way the valve works is from pressure from the small pipe on top

When the engine is running the valve is closed but when you reach a certain rev range the pressure will push the spring inside the valve and open it

To make the valve open all the time just remove the small pipe that goes from the valve into the small sensor thing
d78b1777805d7d7cf481f03d36cba45d.jpg

Engine on with small pipe connected (valve shut)

Engine on with small pipe disconnected (valve open)

96a9edf5ea6aed372b6e2ab4429cd499.jpg
100533128fd133bd9891649c468f7223.jpg

Reactions: Mez
Engine on with small pipe connected (valve shut)

Engine on with small pipe disconnected (valve open)

96a9edf5ea6aed372b6e2ab4429cd499.jpg
100533128fd133bd9891649c468f7223.jpg

Appreciate the photos and explanation, but my question is; does this do anything performance wise? Does it affect performance negatively or positively?

Also, a few comments up I linked a blanking plug, what/why would that be a "thing" and are their any reasons why you'd want to blank that off entirely?

Appreciate the photos and explanation, but my question is; does this do anything performance wise? Does it affect performance negatively or positively?

Also, a few comments up I linked a blanking plug, what/why would that be a "thing" and are their any reasons why you'd want to blank that off entirely?
You arent going to see any performance gains from doing it but you will get a bit of sound difference (not much)

The blanking plug you sent would be for if you were to remove the valve completely from the engine bay. That large pipe that the blank goes over is on the side of the air box and would normally have a large pipe going to the valve. If you remove it you'll be left with an open hole on the air box that could potentially get dirt in it

If you wanted to make more room in the engine bay to access the headlight bulbs then you could remove it fully. If you just want a deeper, louder engine noise then just remove the small pipe I showed

Reactions: Frank Perry
You arent going to see any performance gains from doing it but you will get a bit of sound difference (not much)

The blanking plug you sent would be for if you were to remove the valve completely from the engine bay. That large pipe that the blank goes over is on the side of the air box and would normally have a large pipe going to the valve. If you remove it you'll be left with an open hole on the air box that could potentially get dirt in it

If you wanted to make more room in the engine bay to access the headlight bulbs then you could remove it fully. If you just want a deeper, louder engine noise then just remove the small pipe I showed

Perfect, thanks for that. I'm going to leave mine in place, but I'm sure your knowledge and photos will be of huge help to OP.