A little review

Pav

As most of you know I went to Bedford last Saturday..We had a fantastic day with lots of clio's present.One of them was Kev's ( @nutnutwelshman ) 220 trophy.

I just thought I'd share my impression of the mk4 (trophy)..Since the mk4 had been on the market,lots of car magazines slagged it off for not being up to the job and not as involving as the mk3..
To the point,I had a chance to be a passenger in Kev's car and as soon as I got in,I felt very comfortable..the seats are great,supportive and comfy..the interior is on another level compared to a mk3..
I have to admit that i didnt drive it but as a passenger i had lots of fun and very sweaty hands (that's a good thing in my case,means the ride was thrilling and exciting)..The car was very well balanced and gosh was it fast through them corners..there were a few things I liked the most about it though..
1. brakes-fantastic
2. pops on the upshift..gotta love it..
3. the gearbox is great..was watching Kev shifting and the gears went in straight after he pulled the paddle..

Think there are many people out there who will say nasty things about these cars but seriously,get in one (even better drive one) and then judge..
I'll never swap my mk3 for an mk4 but that's purely because I love a manual box and I have a megane engine in...
maybe in the future when there are little Pavs running around I may look into getting a 5 door hatch back..

overall I was impressed by it's performance..
hope this makes sense

PavDSC_0003_1.JPG

Nice review Pav, will have to give you a blast in mine to see what your thoughts of the 'standard' edc is.

As most of you know I went to Bedford last Saturday..We had a fantastic day with lots of clio's present.One of them was Kev's ( @nutnutwelshman ) 220 trophy.

I just thought I'd share my impression of the mk4 (trophy)..Since the mk4 had been on the market,lots of car magazines slagged it off for not being up to the job and not as involving as the mk3..
To the point,I had a chance to be a passenger in Kev's car and as soon as I got in,I felt very comfortable..the seats are great,supportive and comfy..the interior is on another level compared to a mk3..
I have to admit that i didnt drive it but as a passenger i had lots of fun and very sweaty hands (that's a good thing in my case,means the ride was thrilling and exciting)..The car was very well balanced and gosh was it fast through them corners..there were a few things I liked the most about it though..
1. brakes-fantastic
2. pops on the upshift..gotta love it..
3. the gearbox is great..was watching Kev shifting and the gears went in straight after he pulled the paddle..

Think there are many people out there who will say nasty things about these cars but seriously,get in one (even better drive one) and then judge..
I'll never swap my mk3 for an mk4 but that's purely because I love a manual box and I have a megane engine in...
maybe in the future when there are little Pavs running around I may look into getting a 5 door hatch back..

overall I was impressed by it's performance..
hope this makes sense

PavView attachment 117209
Thank you Pav for the kind words

Nice review Pav

I drove a 200T up at Renault @ Wakefield a couple of months back.
They had a black 200T (5dr) in and a red 200 Mk3 (3dr)
Meant I could drive them back to back to see what I thought.

I too was mightily impressed with the gearshift with the paddles.
Pops on the shifting was nice.

We decided to look out for a Mk3 as the mrs was happier with the size of that, and thought the Mk4 was a bit too big for what she needed, coming from a MINI.

Great track day pic nut nut :sunglasses:

Mate one half of me really wants to but the other half of me is sceptical :flushed:

Dooo it dooo it!!! I was sceptical and even a tad nervous driving up to Bedford, but the moment I got those Yokos warm, everything clicked into place and it just felt right.

Reactions: Chris and Big Ben
totally agree mate! @Micah passenger ride was great, I liked them from the outstart and nearly bought one after a test drive.
Brakes were impressive! Shame there isnt no oversteer :wink:

Reactions: Micah
totally agree mate! @Micah passenger ride was great, I liked them from the outstart and nearly bought one after a test drive.
Brakes were impressive! Shame there isnt no oversteer :wink:

Too kind, sir!
To be honest, I wasn't sure if you'd be that impressed, but I think it was the exhaust pops that did it. I wasn't trying hard enough to make it oversteer, though I got out of shape twice when Will was my passenger. I've really caught the bug though, can't wait for my next track day! Currently looking for a set of 200T wheels and some nice AD08R's :wink:

Too kind, sir!
To be honest, I wasn't sure if you'd be that impressed, but I think it was the exhaust pops that did it. I wasn't trying hard enough to make it oversteer, though I got out of shape twice when Will was my passenger. I've really caught the bug though, can't wait for my next track day! Currently looking for a set of 200T wheels and some nice AD08R's :wink:

MF Tyres on Facebook for AD08R's!

We decided to look out for a Mk3 as the mrs was happier with the size of that, and thought the Mk4 was a bit too big for what she needed, coming from a MINI.

The Mk4 is about 4cm longer and is actually narrower than the Mk3! Still, you got yourself a good one, so all is forgiven :tongueout:

Reactions: JMR
Mate one half of me really wants to but the other half of me is sceptical :flushed:
Give in to the devil side. I’ve seen you drive mate you’re made for trackdays.
I’ll get a forum event lined up at Snetterton in the new year like we just done at Bedford. Youll have a whale of a time. At least try one so you’ve ticked that box:wink:

Chris, stop being a fanny. If I can do it, you'll definitely be able to!

I’m not worried about being able to do it or not, just about bolloxing something up lol!

Give in to the devil side. I’ve seen you drive mate you’re made for trackdays.
I’ll get a forum event lined up at Snetterton in the new year like we just done at Bedford. Youll have a whale of a time. At least try one so you’ve ticked that box:wink:

I’ll try it the once, but a summer one :smile:

I’m not worried about being able to do it or not, just about bolloxing something up lol!

That’s exactly it. My first track day (Bedford obvs) happened to have the shittiest weather but the car is incredible in the wet. Even with my inexperience I still managed to counter a couple of slippery moments and kept the car on the track. I think you’ll find a new found respect for the car, as long as you don’t turn off the ESP [emoji14]