64mm ported throttle body review

You dont get the same effect pressing harder, your saying all these negative comments and aint even tried the mods. There tried and tested mods with positive feed bsck but your constantly ridiculing it with in theory comments.

Yeah I supose you hit the nail on the head there, iv not done these mods but reading into it in theory that's what would happen, bet that's hard to control when your driving on the edge of grip, one touch of throttle and massive understeer, not good

that may be the case if was a Veyron but come on people its just a bloody Clio... 64mm tb is an excellent mod and it works, the sprintbooster is also a great mod and prob one of the best mods going but it doesn't turn it into a uncontrollable monster.

The bigger TB does make a big difference to the FEEL of the car. So what it might be snake oil when it comes to adding power, but does the car sound better and feel more eager through the rev range? Yes it does. Does that add to the character of the car? Yes it does. For the sake of £50-75 is it a worthwhile modification? Yes it is, considering these engines are so hard to get power from anything that increases the FEELING of power is worth doing in my opinion.

Does it make the car "harder to navigate around the samoflange"? No it doesn't. Does it make the car more difficult to drive in traffic or when manoeuvring in car parks etc.? No it doesn't. Does it turn the throttle into an on/off switch? No it doesn't... But given that people on here like to cry about "laggy" throttle response, isn't spending the response up a bit then a good thing!?!

It is what it is. It gives more throttle opening for less pedal movement. It's a 13% increase in volume over the standard TB and it takes things about as close to the inlet size on the plenum as safely possible. The car feels more urgent for it at lower revs, without losing anything in the higher regions. You don't "lose" anything at all, the last 25% of pedal travel isn't redundant or whatever else has been said on here. The butterfly will still open the same amount it did before enlargement, only this time the area around it will be volumetricly larger than it was before.

There's been some utter sh!te posted on here lately. If you want a cheap modification that will enhance the feel and character of the car then this is a good modification with plenty of positive feedback. If you want more power then you need either a new car or a new engine, it's a feckless task chasing power on the F4R, absolutely not worth the hassle at all.

That is all I gots to say about that!!! :smiley:

Yeah I supose you hit the nail on the head there, iv not done these mods but reading into it in theory that's what would happen, bet that's hard to control when your driving on the edge of grip, one touch of throttle and massive understeer, not good

that's the issue here...."theory" and "practice"! coming from an motor vehicle engineering background sometimes the only thing to do is the "practical" :oops:

Hahaha!!! :smiley:

All I can say is I thought as a whole it made a difference to the car, most noticeably how it felt and sounded. It didn't give me an extra 10MPH in each gear or anything like that but it certainly turned everything up enough for it to rouse the senses that bit more when on a spirited drive. These cars are very pure in terms of how they feel and how they drive, for a modern car they still have quite an analogue feel about them and it's the small things like this that effect sound and response which are the things that make the biggest difference to the feel and sensation of driving the car. If that makes sense?

In the words of EVO Magazine, "it's about the thrill of driving, it's not about how fast a car goes, it's about how a car goes fast"... :wink:

I guess in the end it's down to what you want from a mod. For me it's analog, linear and consistent throttle response. I'd like nothing more than convert my throttle body back to cable.

you are right, I did neither own a 64mm TB nor a sprintbooster and therefore my statements are theoretical assumptions. however, these are facts:

- an additional electronic device that refactors a signal to the ECU needs processing time. This means it can't accelerate the input you give with the right foot. (as mentioned, it might certainly feel like it does due to the more aggressive mapping applied)
- the pressure limit of the air sucked in to the engine is ambient pressure. If the MAP reads (current ambient pressure -0.02 BAR) at 7000rpm then this is as good as it gets without forced induction. you can stick a 80mm butterfly on and the cylinderhead will still be the bottleneck as the combined cross-section area of two inlet valves is still way, way smaller than the one of the stock TB

I do not argue that the mods make the car feel faster. if that floats your boat, these are definitely some mods to look into. For that reason I might go for it as well, if there weren't my concerns about loss of precision. I drive slalom events and the most important thing for good times is exact throttle control as you are basically cornering all the way through the course and loosing grip due to excessive throttle slows down massively.

one of the guys there also driving for years and always being fast in his integra type-r struggles to keep up with my times with his new focus RS because he can't control the throttle. characteristics of the turbo engine not helping as well...
also there is this guy in an S2000 who should have no problems winning the 2000ccm class with 240bhp, rwd and independent rear suspension. still, every time "vtec kicking in, yoooo" out of a corner his rear end kicks out loosing traction. it looks epic, it sounds epic... but it's quite slow :smile:

So I'd like to get one and there is none on eBay at the moment. There is a 65mm throttle body on there though.
Anyone run one of these? Not sure how much response difference there will be but I'm more concerned about any potential drawbacks?

If anyone wants to move one or sees one for sale flick me a PM :smile:
Postage to Sydney, Australia.

I've received a 64mm throttle body this afternoon - will be installing later on and will report back... :smile: Hoping to see some results lower down - only other upgrades/mods I've done are a decent air filter and Sprintbooster so not sure if it will be very noticeable.

I've received a 64mm throttle body this afternoon - will be installing later on and will report back... :smile: Hoping to see some results lower down - only other upgrades/mods I've done are a decent air filter and Sprintbooster so not sure if it will be very noticeable.

It'll work well with them mate :thumbup: