64mm ported throttle body review

Yep same item I bought...

OK, very initial comments and thoughts... Nice and easy to swap over, took 10-15 min to do. First press of the stop/start button resulted in 3,000rpm, 3,250rpm, 3,500rpm, 3,750rpm, followed by a 'oh ****' I'm gonna turn it back off! Gave it 30 seconds and turned on again... Went up to 2,000rpm, dropped to 1,500. Another few stop/starts and although there's an initial 1/2 seconds at 1,500rpm the engine settles just below 1,000 which is the same as normal. Hoping this is a good sign and I'll not have any problems with it.

Went for a 10 minute drive - intended to drive normal, didn't. Had a blast between a few roundabouts locally but traffic wasn't quiet enough to properly test it. Engine sound seems a bit more grunty, the torque is definitely there in 1st and 2nd which is what I've been missing with this car (I had a newer 197 before but changed in Oct last year). Hopefully this brings the car up to similar speed as the old one - initial feeling is good.

Had no issues with my new throttle body - car starts as normal, no higher than previous idle rpm. Difficult to judge just how much of an improvement it brings as I know it is likely to be minimal but this along with other recent add ons - sprintbooster, new filter and spark plugs seem to have sorted out a lack of power that I felt wasn't there compared to my previous 197.

After part/ex with my original body this has cost around £70 - not massive money either. Hoping for a remap over the next couple of months which will allow the car to make use of these new parts.

I installed one of these the other week. Same as Jamie's experience really. Simple mod and worthwhile. Both funny and awkward on the first drive at a crossing where the car is revving high making me look like a dick when pedestrians are crossing. No I'm not giving you the hurry up, it's just the car.
Second drive an hour later and the over revving had come down to the 2k rpm mark and the 3rd drive about 30 mins after that the revvs were pretty much back to normal.

She revs up quicker now and with the v6 airbox it revvs even quicker still AND that sound :w00t:

64mm Throttle Body

Just had my 64mm throttle body arrive, got to be one of the quickest mods that I have ever fitted to the car! nice and simple and easy to do.
Got it in place, recconected the battery and then I started her up, was expecting it to do what everyone else was saying and start idling at 3000rpm. but to my rusprise it didnt, little spultter and a bit hesitant to start, but it burst into life and settled straight away at 1000rpm, revved fine and was ticking over fine, took it for a spin, not a massive difference as yet, maybe a little quicker on throttle repsonse. Im still waiting to have a few more things done and then a remap so will have the real gains when thats done, but pretty happy with how it all went on and no troubles when I started up.

64mm seems to be the max, as any bigger wont see any benefits unless you port the inlet to the plenum

Bought one, arrived this morning, fit it in about 5 minutes. Started the car, sat at 1500 steady for 5 minutes and turned off and on and now sits at 1100. Will take it for a spin in my lunch break but all seems good so far.

Fitted mine today, 1st start up, 1500rpm, I then did basically as Willis did on here and soon down to about 900rpm.
Time for a drive then.
seemed ok for about a mile, then check injection light and esp light?

car spluttering and not running good, Fitted old one and no problems at all????
Cant upload a video as not sure how?

Mine did the same apart from doing it on the drive way, just turn it on and off a few times let it cool down for a bit on again, and it should be okay, that's what mine did :smile:

Yay I was correct, I managed to pick up a 64mm tb as I was curious/sceptical about what people were saying, after fitting the 64mm throttle body and leaving 2 weeks to settle in I headed down to rs tuning in leeds for a couple of duno runs and re map, it ran a whopping 182 bhp over an average of 3 runs, we then re fitted the original tb back to the car and after another 3 power runs and no mapping it was running 184 bhp, the proof is in the pudding guys so eat up :-D check out rs tunings face book page for results

No that's true but you wouldn't think it would give less bhp than standard being a "performance" mod, I know 2bhp isn't alot in the grand scheme of things but your actualy paying to decrease the performance of the car and use more fuel 8% more to be precise, just thought I'd throw some facts into the practice/theory debate that's all

No that's true but you wouldn't think it would give less bhp than standard being a "performance" mod, I know 2bhp isn't alot in the grand scheme of things but your actualy paying to decrease the performance of the car and use more fuel 8% more to be precise, just thought I'd throw some facts into the practice/theory debate that's all

Its good to see its been tested and 8% more fuel is allot lol would be good to see if it made any difference once mapped:thumbsup:

Yay I was correct, I managed to pick up a 64mm tb as I was curious/sceptical about what people were saying, after fitting the 64mm throttle body and leaving 2 weeks to settle in I headed down to rs tuning in leeds for a couple of duno runs and re map, it ran a whopping 182 bhp over an average of 3 runs, we then re fitted the original tb back to the car and after another 3 power runs and no mapping it was running 184 bhp, the proof is in the pudding guys so eat up :-D check out rs tunings face book page for results

so what, thats your car, from what ive learnt over the years every cars different and responds to diffrent mods, my car loved the throttle body mod and revs picked up alot quicker then without, others had problems, luck of the draw, so really you havent proved nothing other then it didnt work on your car.

Just a little bit of input here.

The stock throttle body is certainly not a restriction on these. (Having flowed 200bhp on a standard one) what your actually feeling, is partially placebo, but also the throttle is allowing more air than it would've at lower throttle angles. I.e, you open the throttle 30%, the car is opening the throttle 30% and applying the fuelling for 30%, but due to the larger diameter is now allowing the 40% of throttle. So all your doing is getting a larger throttle position earlier on the pedal. So you'd be flowing 100% of the throttle at 80%, but you won't be getting 120% at 100%. You'll still only be getting 100%.

The figures are not accurate above, purely used for example.

I fitted my 64mm throttle body this evening, the revs fluctuated slightly but not as much as some have experienced on here. Though I haven't done a cold start with it on yet!

Went on a bit of a drive, there is a bit of a difference but the jury is out as to if it's a positive or a negative for me. It does feel a bit more urgent lower down the revs but that could be due to the reasons said above about the throttle position. It seems to be a bit more flat in the mid-range it has to be said which I'm not sure I like. Past 5k I can't really tell any difference so far.

Going to let it settle in for a week and then I might put the old one back on after a month and then sell it on if there's little/no difference.