3rd gear crunch

Every now and then (Happened 3 times in the last 2 days) I've had a very minor crunch when changing into 3rd. Could even be my fault but I doubt it as it's happened into 3rd every time. Just wondering what the cost of a new gearbox is? Is there anything I can check or just see how it goes over the next month or so?

There's a good amount of threads on here that are gearbox related, but from memory the cost can be anything up to £1,000. There are alternatives to try before you go for the replacement 'box, such as 'box oil change for a start. Assuming this isn't something you've had done recently.

Has the crunch happened when the car is cold?

Edit: just seen your other posts on the gearbox thread, so you probably have the answers you're looking for :smile:

[MENTION=51111]jimmyd81[/MENTION] thanks for the reply. It happens randomly, only every now & then but when the car is warm as well. I'm going to replace the gearbox oil with Fuchs Titan Sintofluid 75w-80 as the gearbox oil hasn't been changed in some time. Hopefully this should sort it.. If a complete new box is needed i'll be on the phone to RUK and i also have someone who fits stuff for me for a incredibly good rate so hopefully all will be well :smiley:

[MENTION=52006]Stubonez[/MENTION] No worries mate, I was just a bit late to the party, I should have read the other thread first :smiley:

Fingers crossed the oil change will help. Mine does crunch very occasionally - it normally happens if I rush the gear change and as a result I don't get the clutch all the way down...

With regards where to get a gearbox from, there's this place http://www.renault-spares.co.uk/brand-new-renault-tl4--gearboxes-889-p.asp that might be of some use. Or ebay :smile:

[MENTION=205]oilman[/MENTION] I'm after 2 litres of gearbox oil. Could you please link me? I was looking at Fuchs gearbox oil.

I think you will be very lucky if the oil works, the syncos always go on these cars normally 3rd into 4th, but its chocolate box so it will probably need replacing.

Saying that mine is doing it too (second box now) and if the oils works i may try it..

Every now and then (Happened 3 times in the last 2 days) I've had a very minor crunch when changing into 3rd. Could even be my fault but I doubt it as it's happened into 3rd every time. Just wondering what the cost of a new gearbox is? Is there anything I can check or just see how it goes over the next month or so?

I get this.

The box was running shyte when I purchased it at 12,000 miles. Changed the oil and after about 2000 miles it seems to be better. When changing gear when cold, ALWAYS drop the gear back in to neutral, and then in to the next gear. If you go straight from 1st to 2nd then it will crunch. Another thing! When driving the car when cold, go from 1st > 3rd > 5th > 6th. You can change at 2,000RPM on a flat surface without any labour. When it's hot, you can do whatever you want with it. However, be aware that you'll probably have to drive in those gears mostly always now if you want the box to go on any longer.

It seems that running those gears such as 1st > 3rd, allows the extra distance needed for it not to crunch and if done correctly, you won't even need to rev match.

Thats just my personal experience, and it's saved me a load of fuel and gear changes too as the ratios are so short.

If I go from 1st to 2nd at a low RPM it will crunch, but if I'm ragging it and do that then it will slot in fine. Strange huh?

Last edited:
[MENTION=51445]Kazumz[/MENTION] I've found this method works pretty well too, especially dropping into neutral between gears. Skipping 1-3 etc does the trick too. Good advice there bud :smile:

Yeah I've been doing that since the crunch started and obviously is working fine.. Also tried 3rd a few times and doesn't seem to be crunching so hopefully everything is good :smile: thanks for the advice :smile:

Yeah I've been doing that since the crunch started and obviously is working fine.. Also tried 3rd a few times and doesn't seem to be crunching so hopefully everything is good :smile: thanks for the advice :smile:

Yeah, you can also do a 2nd > 4th > 5/6th drive if you want. It makes the car feel like an eco car too as you're not changing 6 gears to get up to 30mph.

Just do that and it will be fine for much longer.