30 miles per gallon??? Is there a trick?

I just noticed Mike"s signature 29.9MPG, so I started to look around what it means and how its converted to litres/100km.

Wauw, is there somewhere a "sport" button that I didn't switch off :001_unsure:

thats like 7.8 litres / 100km driving....
I didn't buy the car for it's low consumption, I think no one does here.

On paper it says 8.4l/100km consumption, so last week did a little test for a couple of days. Drove really calm: shifting at 3000rpm, not flooring the gas, keeping yourself to traffic regulations.... basicly driving like my grandmother would

and consumption was something like 10.4 litres/100km to you guys thats like 22.6 mpg :confused1:.
And the funny thing is, when you go nuts with it, its only something like 20mpg

Well maybe there is something wrong with my 197 (see my other post where I get my ass kicked from a saxo :wink:)... Made an appointment today and normally I'm taking it on a dyno on friday.

any other test I should put it on apart from the normal power and torque test?

Hydraulic, i am doing 12.5 litres/km so everything is ok with your fuel consumption...i am stunned by the numbers as i never tried to translate them in lt/km...are you sure you're doing it right?

My driving skills and MPG....

Scotland - fast open roads, twisty, no traffic, car HAS to be pushed hard: 35MPG
To and from work for the week - some hard driving, traffic and a town centre: 31MPG
When the Mrs uses it: 2 miles through heavy traffic: 22MPG

That 29.9 is since I owned the car, I am convinced I will get over 30MPG soon :smile:
It was always around the 27MPG mark on normal unleaded too

Also, I have found out that if you drive like a granny, it drinks more.

It needs to be pushed hard to get better consumption, but not too hard!

Also, I have found out that if you drive like a granny, it drinks more.

It needs to be pushed hard to get better consumption, but not too hard!

Driving to low in the RPM range will actually labour this engine. Im gradually finding you need to be around 3k before your balancing out labouring the engine and having enough power to be efficiently moving.

I have to agree with Mike and Jaxx, if you drive it slowly it really won thank you for it! I tend to stay around 3-3.5k (motorway rpm) its where the engine feels 'loosest' and this is always where you get the best returns. My average is about 30mpg but I like to have some fun, if I do take it easy I can get 35mpg, same for long journeys. It was same when I went to Scotland recently.

On one trip home from the coast I got 45mpg average but that was a constant 50mph all the way. I was well impressed! There are massive differences in the engines and it does depend on your driving style too.

i live in liambo land, and my mpg is always never more than 23mpg, cant help but put the foot down somtimes, shamed a mk4 golf gti last nite.

i live in liambo land, and my mpg is always never more than 23mpg, cant help but put the foot down somtimes, shamed a mk4 golf gti last nite.

LOL, Liambo land is where I achieved the highest ever MPG I have had out the car - by ragging it too (A96 at 9 on a Sunday morning is just wonderful!)

Did you see this: Clicky

some lovely pic mate, seams i missed out out the banter down in the blue toon. lol. rail way bridge in background off pic 1 wheres that?

back on topic tho the best mpg iv had with dials reset and calm driven when i first got her was 39.9mpg never saw that since lol

some lovely pic mate, seams i missed out out the banter down in the blue toon. lol. rail way bridge in background off pic 1 wheres that?

back on topic tho the best mpg iv had with dials reset and calm driven when i first got her was 39.9mpg never saw that since lol

Glenfinnen. It is the bridge that was in Harry Potter, and is on the road for Fort William to Mallaig!

Back O/T now lol

Worked it out yesterday that for every £1 I put in the car I can go 7 miles. Right now I'm getting an average of 24.6 mph. Although I do have a habit of getting in the motorway in 4th and gunning it to the shift light. Wakes me up in the morning