2nd Car

iAndy

Platinum Member
Ok been toying with idea of something cheaper to run as a second car, I really am tempted with a nice 172 that can track as well but think that's defying the point. Don't want to wreck the clio over winter and I know it probably will be a pain in the snow, so budget is £4000 - £9000 and insurance and road tax needs to be cheap to justify it. I know its a high budget for a second car but don't want something that I will spend more time repairing than driving.

Any idea's?

I think your not far off with the 172. I had the same debate earlier this year and decided to pick up a clean 172 for just under 2k. Admittably the insurance isn't massively cheap and neither is tax.

But having said that I have half leather interior, all the electric goodies, A/C, it averages 41mpg on my 15 mile commute and so far has been reliable. Chuck in with that the fact its a classy looking motor and its got enough performance to keep me from getting bored it's a winner of a decision!

Just be careful as there are some real dogs out there with a history of chav abuse and tasteless mods.

Its the CHAV factor that puts me off as there is a lot of rubbish out there thats had its nuts thrashed, but being able to give it some track time is a major plus side. I only work 2miles from home.... but manage an average of 30k a year :s

...you will get your hands on a good 182 Trophy for 5K to 6k.....9K will get you in a RS Twingo on a 10 plate easy.....

Twizy !!!

I'm seriously looking into buying one.

with 2k down its about £160 a month pcp (inc battery at 12k a year) with doors, windows, bluetooth and colour pack.

3 hours charge from dead flat and around £1 a charge and zero road tax. Insurance is just under £200 for me.

Surely if its a second car to take the stress of the clio over winter you want a derv burner. Something like a Skoda VRS diesel would be my choice.

a derv burner would be good, but keep thinking.....mmmm track toy lol

Not sure on the twizy, think like my mobile I would forget to charge it lol

A track toy in winter? :clap: braver man than I.
I hate getting into the clio on a cold morning, never mind a track slag.

You won't after the first time you run out of charge.

They are a real blast! And with running costs of around £180 a month inc juice and insurance it pays for its self for me.

Road tax exempt as well.

Clio service and tyres + meg tyres have eaten my deposit this month or I'd have ordered it.

A Renault twizy? It hasn't got any windows and even the doors are optional!? A winter runabout i think not...

Seriously if you only live 2 miles from work why not man up and cycle to work and save the entire 9k + it's exercise?

Think I would spend more time fixing the temperamental Italian electrics thou lol, Plus insurance...... they wat £1200 for the Evo as I've no NCD to put to it :worried: although one of guys at work says send a copy of current renewal and get them to use that..... sounds dodgy to me!

A Renault twizy? It hasn't got any windows and even the doors are optional!? A winter runabout i think not...

Seriously if you only live 2 miles from work why not man up and cycle to work and save the entire 9k + it's exercise?

doors are an option and then windows are an option on top.

Like i say its around £180 a month full running cost.

We spend £500-£700 a month on fuel! running the 200 and trophy.