215/225? tyres on 8J wheels

There are quite a lot of us running OZ Ultra's on the Clio now in 17x8j and others who have cup racer speedlines, or any other 8 inch rim for that matter.

Do the people running these wider wheels stick with a 215 tyre and have a small amount of stretch or 'upgrade' to a 225 tyre?

If you could state what you use and how you feel this affects the steering/grip levels, i would be grateful and probably a good reference for other forum users also...

Thanks
Chris

Most stick with the 215 on the 8" wheels. I've ran 215 Conti 3s, Conti 5s, Toyo R888s, Yoko AD08s and now Yoko A048s on our 8" wide OZs and Cup racers with no issues.

I'd stick 225 tyres on. Its the most natural size and although not much difference it give you more contact patch on the road and if you look at other manufacturers like Subaru, lotus and Mitsubishi they all put 225's on 8J rims.

I've always used 225s on the 2 sets of 8J I've had.

Might switch back to 215 though next time if I go for R888s or similar again as at extreme loads the top end of the side walls catch in the arch, won't be an issue if I get my hands on some coilovers/topmounts though hopefully.
When I say extreme loads I mean it's only happened at a single banked corner on a specific track.

215/45/17 or 235/40/17 the later kepps the rolling radius near spot on to standard. I prefered the car on the 215's as it was a bit edgier.

I'd stick 225 tyres on. Its the most natural size and although not much difference it give you more contact patch on the road and if you look at other manufacturers like Subaru, lotus and Mitsubishi they all put 225's on 8J rims.

It doesnt really, it just changes the shape of the contact area the size of the contact area will stay the same.

I've always used 225s on the 2 sets of 8J I've had.

Might switch back to 215 though next time if I go for R888s or similar again as at extreme loads the top end of the side walls catch in the arch, won't be an issue if I get my hands on some coilovers/topmounts though hopefully.
When I say extreme loads I mean it's only happened at a single banked corner on a specific track.

A 225/45/17 tyre is much taller than both the above. Its closer to a low profile 18" tyre size. Like 225/40/18 or 235/40/18

the profile changes as its a % of the tyre width...

215/45r17 = radius 196.44cm dai 62.53cm side wall 9.68cm

225/45r17 = radius 199.27cm dia 63.43cm side wall 10.13cm

so would gear up by 1.4%

30mph = 30.4mph 60mph = 60.9mph

It doesnt really, it just changes the shape of the contact area the size of the contact area will stay the same.

I'm pretty sure there's more than just tyre width that affects the contact area / contact patch and this seems to be a bit too restrictive as a statement to cover all situations.

Just being pedantic :tongueout:

There is a reason a Corvette doesn't ride around on 195 steel rims beyond posing effects.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure there's more than just tyre width that affects the contact area / contact patch and this seems to be a bit too restrictive as a statement to cover all situations.

Just being pedantic :tongueout:

There is a reason a Corvette doesn't ride around on 195 steel rims beyond posing effects.

Indeed you are :wink:

Comparing a 335 to a 195 isnt really in the same ball park as 215 & 225 :lol:

If the empirical data on grip and lateral G is not affected then I tend to stand by the theory

Found this ages ago when I was looking to fit the 235/40R17's (the picture shows what I was getting at in the "restrictive statement")
http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible_pg3.html

If your looking for more grip, just change the tyre brand/compound

Indeed you are :wink:

Comparing a 335 to a 195 isnt really in the same ball park as 215 & 225 :lol:

If the empirical data on grip and lateral G is not affected then I tend to stand by the theory

Found this ages ago when I was looking to fit the 235/40R17's (the picture shows what I was getting at in the "restrictive statement")
http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible_pg3.html

If your looking for more grip, just change the tyre brand/compound

I do like how he signs that off:

To increase the contact patch, lower the tyre pressure a little.

Good tip :smiley:

Contact size varries from brand to brand also! tyre pressure and and heat are big factors too!

ive just purchased 225 45 17 A048's, i know from being a Lotus owner that the A048's have a larger contact area than the same sized 888's - common knowledge on the Lotus forums - but sadly i cant help with the science behind this!!?

Surely tread pattern has a lot to do with contact area.

However back to the initial query. 225 are a more natural fit onto a 8j wheel than any other size, or so I have been told anyway.

I had 205 on 8j 17" on my mini and the stretch was good, If I were to do it again I would even go to 195.

And my car was about 80mm off the floor, could still full lock no problem. Would rub slightly on dips in the road at speed.

Got 225's on my ultraleggeras. Can sometimes get a fraction of rubbing at full lock coming down the slope off my drive but thats an extreme angle.

My cars standard height though, so I think with coilovers you will be a bit of rub at full lock.

Similar Thread Suggestions