2006 Deep Black Track Shed BudgetBoltOnBuild

Helpimonfire

Paid Member
So I figured it was time to start a progress thread, I always said I'd keep it standard but we all know that's not happening.

Bought the dirt magnet on New Years Eve 2016 so I've not had it long. It had already been lowered on (at the time) mystery springs and had 20mm spacers fitted. Sadly the wheels were in a poor state and the car was poorly polished. In fact I'm still trying to get "overpolish" off all the plastic trim 5 months on...

As it was when I first drove it home.
Xxfm0ER.jpg
I3UUxGg.jpg

'Mystery' springs
cjqxFXt.jpg
Turned out to be H&R, so not a bad set really.

First job was to get some shine back into the paintwork.
wYmnXBM.jpg
TC9Mgit.jpg
xCcoNvi.jpg

Nothing was done for a while, it was just driven and enjoyed. By the end of the first week it was filthy again.
YVHMGL7.jpg
Ew.

I found out the car already had a KTR panel filter fitted which was a nice little find
zHL7eeE.jpg
Wasn't in bad shape either.

Next few jobs were to fit some decent headlight bulbs, the light output was poor through the projectors. Ended up with Philips XtremeVision bulbs.... Much better.
Then I decided to give the tatty wheels a quick spruce up and painted them Satin Black. A quick DIY job, not perfect but they'll do for now.
lp2FsJV.jpg

Following on quickly came a Royal retrimmed wheel. Full Alcantara was required.
LPIqEyl.jpg
Mmmm...

After that came a new (second hand) exhaust.
F4sBB26.jpg

Sounded good but it kept knocking on the rear beam and drove me mad. So an order was placed last weekend...
Lpdr3R0.png

Off I went to the father in laws to borrow his pit. 90 minutes later...
8hnR7gb.jpg
MxI8AMl.jpg

And that brings us up to date!

Next on the list is a replacement manifold and a remap, then a set of Autec Wizard wheels or Calibre Suzuka. Not sure which, I like both. Watch this space!

Last edited:
Glad you started a thread up Martin. Looking forward to some more updates:thumb:

Nice thread Martin plenty of updates to come!

@sevenfourate yours was running a dream too, sounded lovely chasing you, however I was more concerned about a white 220 trophy flying through my back windowscreen!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So this thread went very quiet... I've just been driving and enjoying the car for the past few months, nothing new has come of it yet.

I lost all handbrake though. Not sure why but I've picked up a rebuild kit and 2 second hand calipers and I'm glad I did. Although the calipers I bought seemed to moved ok, when trying to wind the piston back it was stuck solid. The piston had corroded slightly and wouldn't move. Luckily I had a heap of brute force and ignorance on my side!

swSLKYQ.jpg

So after an hour of swearing, I've got a rebuilt caliper! I also have some spare fronts ready to be painted at work when I get a chance.

Once I've swapped these rears onto my car I'll strip my old ones and get them painted with the fronts and then the colour coordination will begin...

Watch this space.

Reactions: ///M and Big Ben
Lol on the brute force and ignorance...

Decided on a colour yet Martin ?

Yes and no. I need to have a proper look tomorrow at work. We have access to the full RAL colour chart but only tend to use a few colours. I need to see if I can get the painters to slap some paint on a few bits of shaped steel for me.

Then I may ask them nicely to slap some paint on my wheels too. A proper job rather than my rattle can attempts (which have held up fairly well all things considered!)

Reactions: sevenfourate
Yes and no. I need to have a proper look tomorrow at work. We have access to the full RAL colour chart but only tend to use a few colours. I need to see if I can get the painters to slap some paint on a few bits of shaped steel for me.

Then I may ask them nicely to slap some paint on my wheels too. A proper job rather than my rattle can attempts (which have held up fairly well all things considered!)

Sounds like they are going to be at a 'great price' then :smile:

Will really freshen up the visuals a treat in one fell swoop.

Look forward to seeing what combo you end up choosing...