2006 Deep Black Track Shed BudgetBoltOnBuild

Prep for the upcoming trackdays hasn't really gotten anywhere so far, with starting a new job and the adoption of 2 new kittens, there's been very little free time.
IMG_20211011_191657.jpg
The new job has come with a very handy tool in the shape of a Navara and a big triple axle flatbed trailer. Which my boss is happy to let me use for hauling the track car all over the country. He sees it at free advertising for his company so it's all good!IMG_20211014_175822.jpg
I've got an adapter so I may use my own trailer instead of this one when it comes to the trackdays (the truck is 13 pin, my BMW is only a 7 pin), but we'll see.

Depending on how the job goes there may be a 5 series and a Brian James Trailer up for sale soon!

Update!

No pictures as of yet (Track Obsession haven't uploaded the Bedford photos as I type this) but I think I managed a few videos before my GoPro died.

Bedford 25/10 - I thought this was going to be a bad day, I was late arriving, had to noise test on a cold engine and I can't say I was really feeling it to be truthful but I'd paid my money and I'd arrived in one piece so things had started to look up. The weather was great all day and it was nice to see a couple of forum members too. I hadn't managed to get the Clios geo set up so I was having to run it as it fell together which luckily felt fairly good. I'd set the ride height and preload etc on the Yellowspeeds and only needed to adjust the damping as required. I felt the front was a little soft and felt vague so I stiffened it up a touch (I'd set them when putting the car together at 12 from full hard on the front and 6 from full hard on the rear), went 3 clicks harder on the front and 2 on the rear.
Felt like a positive change so I just went out to put laps on the car. Then the red flags started. First of all was a Honda owner who decided to dump fluids on the track, when someone tried to flag him down he just gave them the thumbs up and pressed on. The marshal said they had over a mile of fluids to clean up!
We (@Big Ben @burrellbloke and @EthanMenace ) stood around chatting shit as usual which this went on.
Green flag! Go go go!
Or not. Someone with a mk2 Clio lost a wheel before he even made it out on track! (These red flags may have been the other way around, my brain is fried from today... More to follow on that!)
Finally go back out on track and I was putting many many laps in the bag and felt pretty positive about the car. Lunchtime rolled around and I made the mistake of eating later than planned and far too much:oops:

Went out after lunch and had a good 40+ minute stint. Made myself feel sick so I decided the best thing to do was to chill for a bit, then jump in the passenger seat with Ben in his absolute weapon. My word... What a beast! The car was pretty fast too! Other than the wooshy noises and turbo flutter, the power delivery is so smooth that you could mistake it for a big torquey 6 cylinder (expect for the noise anyway!). The exhaust sounded so good for a Megane engine, usually these are farty and resemble the noise you get under a hand dryer when it makes your skin flap about a bit.

I had a bit of fuel left so burned that off with @burrellbloke in the passenger seat. I was struggling to hit a rhythm by this point and my laps were messy, also decided the damping needed more adjustment but called it a day when the fuel light came on.

All in all, another cracking day run by Track Obsession!

Oulton Park 30/10.

The second outing of my torturous fortnight for the Clio. Up at 4am to make the 4 hour journey across to Cheshire, the closer I got, the wetter it got and I had another sense on impending doom. New to me, bumpy, unforgiving track in the wet? Oh no...
I arrived to meet a couple friends from one of the many Facebook groups out there, thankfully Chris was also trying to run the MRFs in the wet so I felt a bit better about running those. Sighting laps done and the car felt good, ended up softening the car by around 6 clicks front and 4 rear, this helped with the understeer a lot! As much as you can on semi slicks in the wet anyway.

Got out on track and gingerly tiptoed around, got to Island Bend and the red flags were out. "Oh no!" I cried to myself while swearing a lot. A Mk2 Golf had run out of grip, talent, brakes and track on the first corner, battered the recticel barrier and punted a tyre stack a fair way. A lengthy recovery and repair was in order. This was the first of 3 red flags.

Tannoy call came over - "Track re-opens in 1 minute!". Scuttle off to my car, got strapped in, got lined up and away we go again! 3rd corner... Red flags. "FishFinger Sandwiches!" I hollered. Someone had fallen off the track through Knickerbrook and belted the barrier, kicking mud all over the track. They'd limped the car back to the pits but a tidy up and repair was required, so we retired to the pits once more.

3rd time's a charm! By this point the sun had come out and a dry line was appearing, the MRFs soon started working well, REALLY well. I'd stiffened the rear up at this point after Chris and Dave both mentioned it would help rotate the car on turn in. It worked! Once again the Clio did what it does best, endless laps with no issues.

After about 15 laps I'd gotten more comfortable with the car and the track so I started pushing on a bit harder. I'd finally felt more confidence in the brakes to lean on them a bit harder, the PBS ProRace pads were working well but still lack overall feel. I'd actually say they perform close to the DS Uno I nabbed from Ben but for half the price.
Got another session in by the time lunch rolled around, I decided to eat early this time. Wandered to the restaurant with the intention of a light snack, maybe a baguette or a jacket spud. Of course not. I was full to the brim and ready to vomit in my helmet. We had a walk down to watch the action when it resumed, we decided to stand at Dentons to watch people fly into Cascades. It didn't take long before a yellow flag was shown for a Leon Cupra who'd somehow managed to do a 180 spin in the air across wet grass and keep it out of the barrier! He ended up in the gravel. Red Flag 3 we all thought. Somehow he'd got going again from the kitty litter and seemed to stay off line back to the pits with his tail firmly between his legs. Probably swallowed by his bumhole!

Out in the car again, more and more laps done, getting quicker and braver every time. Some of the corners I was taking in 3rd with part throttle (Cascades, Druids and Lodge) at the start of the day were taken flat in 3rd/4th as required. I'd also stopped myself from lifting on the approach to Cascades, 4th gear seemed to keep the car settled and felt faster all day.

Came in around 3.40ish. Sweating my tits off at this point as I'd been working hard and the temperature was up to a heady 13 degrees, blue skies and sunshine! As the day was drawing to a close we all went out for a final session, I pulled in early as I nearly wet myself through Deer Leap, apparently the compression is enough to challenge a full bladder! Everyone else (bar 1) came back in as it was silly season. I'd got back in the car to burn off the remaining 1/4 tank of fuel, got the the pitlane marshal and he held me there. Another red flag. One of our lot had caused it! I didn't realise at the time until I saw him being towed back into the pits. His freshly imported Impreza Spec C had thrown a bearing and uncle Rodney had come to visit. An expensive lap for him!

I was first out so I got some heat into the MRFs fairly quick and pressed on. I'd been chased by a quick young lady in a race prepped MGZR, I had the legs on her though and managed to stay ahead. Has a few moments trying to push a little too hard and decided to call it quits for the day. Loaded up ready for the 4 hour journey home.

All in all, Oulton Park is a phenomenal track, one I'd got the hang of it I loved it! It's gunna be an expensive time next year as I'd really like to go a couple more times!

Pictures and video to follow. I'm absolutely knackered now, up at 4am, 8 hours of driving to and from the track and a mostly full day on track!:french:

3 down. 1 to go!

Snetterton 01/11/21 (This will be a bit all over the shop as I'm knackered!)
Came here today expecting a miserable wet day, all weather forecasts said it was going to be wet so I expected a soggy day. I was wrong. Sunny and dry all day! There were the usual red flags as expected, more than usual actually, I think 7 in total? Anyway, this wasn't a bad thing, it broke the day up nicely.
Had loads of laps and I'd smashed my way through 3/4 of a tank by lunchtime, luckily Snetterton has 99 octane on site and it's cheaper than the Esso down the road (1.55 a litre vs 1.68 at Esso)

Had a few moments throughout the day but nothing unusual, ended up having tuition in the afternoon which was odd, the pro driver barely said a word and just sat there, then we had a little debrief in the pitlane where he was happy with my driving and lines, I just needed to use more of the kerb and get a bit closer to the apex, other than that I was really happy with my driving over the day.

We ended the day with a 3 Clio train, not quite as close as the Baguettes but myself, @tcw and one of his crew did 8 or so laps back to back, it only really highlighted that I definitely need a decent LSD in mine, Tobie was so much quicker out of the corners but I was quicker into the corners, it all evened out. Then another red flag ended the day, light was fading at this point so it was time to load up and go home. Tobie plugged his laptop into my car and got rid of my airbag lights which was awful nice of him.

Bedford pictures!
51646548383_6db22a1e06_o.jpg51646945989_f049191faf_o.jpg51647000304_9da2a98bfc_o.jpg51646513993_99048c48dd_o.jpg51645464967_b9a718dee2_o.jpg

If you use more curb on both apex and exit you will straighten the corner and take the immediate pressure off needing a diff. If you imagine a string round the bottom of the steering wheel to the toe on your right foot, then you can only apply throttle as you are steering out the corner. You can also brake deeper and later to get rotation which will allow you to get the steering off sooner.

Reactions: LiamP
Needs more camber captain

Yellowspeeds are maxed out, I'm going to do a bush refresh over winter so I may have a look at the Powerflex camber adjustable bush kit. We'll see though, depends if I actually do the work or just leave it until next year :tearsofjoy:

Is it the top mount maxxed? Or just the lack of room?

Maxed out in the standard bolt holes, looks like I could get a bit more to be fair, it has extra threaded holes but I'm not looking at it this side of Donington. It's gunna get looked at once I've replaced all the 120k+ mile bushes and whatever balljoints need doing too. Then a decent geo setup and then back on track next year!

Unless I decide to book Cadwell in December :think:

Reactions: RSRowe
Maxed out in the standard bolt holes, looks like I could get a bit more to be fair, it has extra threaded holes but I'm not looking at it this side of Donington. It's gunna get looked at once I've replaced all the 120k+ mile bushes and whatever balljoints need doing too. Then a decent geo setup and then back on track next year!

Unless I decide to book Cadwell in December :think:
Bushes will tighten things up nicely. I only went purple series but made a noticeable difference