200 replacement ordered

Finally grew sick of being raped for petrol every 4 days. Done some looking about and its now confirmed, the Clios days are marked. The replacement car has been ordered, wanted something that would give me a better fuel return yet still have a bit of guts when required. So Ive gone for a nice shiny new VW Golf GTD 170.

350Nm of torque should be enough for overtaking tractors on the way home from work. If not, already looking up some nice remaps. Company in Manchester have one sitting at 200HP/450NM.

Wont get it until May though, factory build :thumb1:

Should look similar to this though.

golf-gtd-2.jpg

Nice car, funny people say they get raped on fuel so buy a more economical car ...... Then remap it so it's faster :biggrin:

Hope you enjoy it.

Lovely!!! :smile:

Good choice. Absolutely love my Dubs. Not that ive had about 20+ of them.

I have to be honest though, buying a £23k car as a factory order is a funny way of saving money. Depreciation and cost of the car in the first place will be more than it would cost you to run a Clio for several years.

Last edited:
Good point think I'll sell the wife's 107 and get a 20k + diesel to save a few bob :biggrin:

Lovely car though just pulling your leg.

Very nice indeed.needs must in this current climate.Enjoy your new motor

We used to have the MK5 2.0 tdi (140) I loved that car. It was quite quick too and ever since we got rid of it I've pondered over getting the 170 version.

You'll love it !

Looks very nice Graeme, few months off yet but we will need a comparison test report. Have you opted for white as in the picture?

admit its not saving much, but the clio is due 3rd year service, MOT and years tax all round about the same time. Clio to run costs around £20 a day-ish. Only about £7.50 of that is the car itself. My commute to work is pretty much out the house then sitting at 60-70mph all the way to work. I dont mind spending money, just like to have something to show for it.

I first looked at a 3yr old one, (09/59) with between 20-30k on the clock you'll pay around 18-19k. Or you can buy a new one for 24k (RRP) with full leather, heated seats and on PCP and the payments are only £20 of a difference.

The Clio is a brilliant car, and I really dont want to get rid of it. But i just dont see the point in spending nearly double what you pay for the car just to run it.

And yes, Candy White

Good luck Graeme - nice choice, can't go wrong with VAG
I went the other way,( from diesel back to petrol)
Depending on what mileage you do will depend if you will be better off
With the mileage my mrs was doing (she uses the car for work) we were no better off with diesel than petrol!!
I had two A3's - a1.9tdi130 but then in the quest for more ooomph changed to a2.0tdi 170
I then found i was paying the same in diesel as i was in petrol and this was before the price hike!
As i said if your'e putting the miles in you will be better off (also road tax etc) but if your'e just running around (like i was) you might find fuel bill wise it will be the same as the clio
Good luck either way but im sure youv'e done your homework

admit its not saving much, but the clio is due 3rd year service, MOT and years tax all round about the same time. Clio to run costs around £20 a day-ish. Only about £7.50 of that is the car itself. My commute to work is pretty much out the house then sitting at 60-70mph all the way to work. I dont mind spending money, just like to have something to show for it.

I first looked at a 3yr old one, (09/59) with between 20-30k on the clock you'll pay around 18-19k. Or you can buy a new one for 24k (RRP) with full leather, heated seats and on PCP and the payments are only £20 of a difference.

The Clio is a brilliant car, and I really dont want to get rid of it. But i just dont see the point in spending nearly double what you pay for the car just to run it.

And yes, Candy White

Excellent. I do it all the time anyway. Always swapping cars. Wife has told me the Polo GTI has to stay or it's a divorce this time though. Haha!!!

Oh, I can still get 50mpg on a run in the Polo. :smile:

Nice car but echo what others have said, how does it save you money? Cheaper fuel bills but move expensive car to buy?

It wasnt about saving money, it was about not wanting to spend it on fuel.

If it was a money saving job I would have bought a Peugeot 107. Pocketed the equity in the Clio, and payed £107 a month, got a road tax for £20 a year, and got 60mpg, and saved myself a load of cash.

Monthly, will I spend less money, yes. Time will tell, so ask me again in August if I regret it lol

Makes sense, sometimes it's about the day to day running costs of a car that you have to look at, not long term. And tbh, Fuel prices are only going to get higher, so if you think it's hard now, I reckon it'll be close to another 10p by the end of the year.

Looks nice, I do love a Golf tho!