200 Cup - Initial Impressions

StuS

Paid Member
Hi all,

Thought I'd write with my initial impressions of 200 Cup ownership: https://clio197.net/threads/hi-my-new-2012-clio-cup.66085/

We have quite a few cars and needed a second four seater fun hatchback (that could also be used occasionally for track days) and having always wanted a Clio Cup, chose the above.
I love the simplicity of Cup cars, however, there are some things I'd like to change:
Predominantly the ride. It is too harsh for shite British roads, it needs something more compliant. Will a change of springs help?
Take-up from stationary is erratic and not smooth - I believe this can be addressed with a remap?
Not essential but aesthetic, I think a set of spacers will help fill out the arches, just 15mm, maybe convert to studs (is this an easy job?).
Sound - just isn't any on the standard car, so something to add a bit of aural delight would be nice - just a back-box upgrade?
Finally, can the rear seat be easily converted to split folding from a standard Clio?

Cheers for your thoughts,

Stu

You can change the springs, if the dampers are old they might be worn giving you a harsh ride. The Cup comes with stiffer springs.

A remap should sort out a flat spot.

20mm Spacers will fill the arches.

If you are after sound you can get a KTec induction kit or replace the exhaust.

Cup seats are a solid bench. Full fat seats have the split rear seats. Cup cars have two seat belts for the rear whereas full fats have three.

I think the 200's are all 4 seaters and the 197's are 5 seaters I think at some stage two door cars are more likely 4 seaters now a days for safety regs even Audi A5's two door are 4 seaters.

Reactions: Marsch
Predominantly the ride. It is too harsh for shite British roads, it needs something more compliant. Will a change of springs help? Springs will help, but shocks will help even more. The non-cup version with a compliant lowering spring is what most people usually go for

Take-up from stationary is erratic and not smooth - I believe this can be addressed with a remap?
It can, however some are worse than others and can still have issues after a map. You will see posts about people putting new o'rings and cable ties etc. on their MAP sensors in an effort to make them drive more normal, but I think the perceived improvements are all in peoples heads

Not essential but aesthetic, I think a set of spacers will help fill out the arches, just 15mm, maybe convert to studs (is this an easy job?)
Spacers are definitely required IMO. You'll want 20mm (or 19mm depending on who you buy from), as the 15mm ones do not clear the hub properly.
I would certainly avoid 25mm spacers too, as they make for a horrible driving experience.

Sound - just isn't any on the standard car, so something to add a bit of aural delight would be nice - just a back-box upgrade?
Unless you're chopping and welding, the normal route for this is buying a cat-back system. Depending on how loud you're wanting it very much is a deciding factor as to what brand you pick. I would always go for something which is resonated personally, and also do this mod first before getting your car mapped, as changing the exhaust can make the flat spots even worse.

Finally, can the rear seat be easily converted to split folding from a standard Clio?
I believe they can, but you'll also have to change the headliner and add the 5th seatbelt.
Responses in RED :smile:

Thanks guys,

Where's the best place to get standard springs & dampers from? I assume coil overs work out considerably more expensive - as this is a occasional driver/track car I don't really want to spend thousands on the suspension!

I'll start with that job (and probably do the spacers at the same time)

my 200 was full fat cup, only had 2 seatbelts in the back with split rear folding seats. I think the 197's had 3 seatbelts in the rear? but my 200 defo only has 2.

if you can collect from RH12 area i've got a split rear bench just taking up room you can have

Reactions: Big Ben
Thanks for all your thoughts guys.
I'm in a bit of a quandary, it's such a lovely original car, that it would kill me to start messing around with it (though suspension can be changed back of course).
I'm thinking it may be better to get a standard 197/200 and pass this on to someone looking for a mint low mileage standard car.

That’s what I thought when I got my first 200.

Do what you want to the car provided it makes you happy. The price difference between a good cup and “another” 197/200 is not going to be significant.

Thanks for all your thoughts guys.
I'm in a bit of a quandary, it's such a lovely original car, that it would kill me to start messing around with it (though suspension can be changed back of course).
I'm thinking it may be better to get a standard 197/200 and pass this on to someone looking for a mint low mileage standard car.
Renaultsport don't have the following Ford RS do so don't worry about devaluing it with a few mods. Just keep hold of the standard parts as they are getting harder to replace. Enjoy what you have.

Reactions: Sean197
Again, thanks for all your comments and thoughts.
After much deliberation, I am going to change the car for a more standard one, so this will be going up for sale.
If anyone knows someone looking for a low mileage, mint, original standard car, please get them to message me.

Not sure where your based @StuS but if its anywhere near Bucks/Berks your welcome to try my car which is a full fat 200 basically standard but with the KTEC induction kit and Akrapovic exhaust.

Its done 40K but it might give you an idea if that suits rather than selling up?

Not selling mine it just might help to try another car to see if its that different.