200 cup front door/wing damage

Hey Guys,

After a bit of advice . my Clio got hit parked up today by a lady having a fight with a bee in her car. Anyone know roughly how much it costs to replace a door and front wing and also if an insurance company will even bother fixing it?

Attachments

• 2CF184F3-8B26-4461-AC01-728AF0C662C2.jpeg
    2CF184F3-8B26-4461-AC01-728AF0C662C2.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 61
In my view there are 3 options:

Insurance - Claim through insurance, and get it all sorted for you. This takes time, paperwork and can leave you without a car for a few weeks etc. This will affect the woman's next premium and can sometimes have an effect on yours if you chose to tell insurance companies that you had a non-fault accident (I think, not 100% sure on the 'rules'!)

Have her pay for the repairs - You take it to a bodyshop, get an estimate to fix, and she pays up. This is quick and easy option if both parties agree. Also means it's not a recorded accident so car will not have a category write off against it.

You repair yourself - Find a front wing and door and fit yourself. This is most likely the cheapest option but entirely depends on your DIY/mechanical skills/ability and if you have the tools required to do the job yourself. Of course, have the other party pay for parts and add a few pennies on top for your own effort and labour if you so wish.

One thing I will say - the woman (regardless who she is) clearly didn't set out to crash into your car on purpose, some people are genuinely terrified of insects/bees/wasps etc. Be kind and don't rinse her for everything she has, it sounds like it was a genuine accident.

I hope this helps!

Thanks for the advice! Her Insurance and mine both know about the incident but my insurance haven’t looked at the photos yet. My hunch is due to the age 2009 and mileage 93,000 they might not think it’s worth it so I like your idea of avoiding an insurance write off. The only problem is that she was driving a work car so guessing the insurance route is the only way it will go?
I’m extremely grateful she had the decency to call the police. I’ve had the car since new and the thought of it being written off doesn’t feel good.

In all honesty, you've already started the insurance procedure so carry on - the worst case scenario is they will give it a "CAT N" against the car and then give you a nice chunky payout. Then you will be presented with the option to buy the car back as "salvage" - I've done this twice in 2 separate motorbike incidents.

Typical example;

Car payout (if they write it off) = £4k
Buy back the car at salvage cost = £1k
Take car to local body shop/repair yourself = £1k/£500
Left over pennies = £2k+

The only negative will be the car is now a "cat N" write off but has been repaired. Cat N write-offs do not require anything to get back on the road either, so you could drive it damaged and it'll be fine. One thing I would mention though is, if you do the above example, get it MOT'd and check with your insurance company whether you are A) still insured and B) make them aware you bought the car back and intend on having it repaired.

Also, if you get the option of a payout and in this particular case they say they think the value is £3500 - get online and find a few examples that are very similar to yours that are being sold for more than £3500. 2 or 3 examples of other vehicles that are identical in age and mileage selling for more will fetch you a few more ££ from the insurance payout. :smile:

You will be one of the luckiest people in the world if they pay out £4k and only want £1k for it!

@Spiller a guy on FB group is breaking a white 200 and has both wings with side grills (£60 each), sideskirts (£100 for the pair) and both doors (£80 each). Can negotiate a deal for it all then charge the woman plus some of your time / a body shop to fit it if you don't feel comfortable.

I would first take off the wing and see if anything is damaged, as you can then go get other stuff if it is damage

FWIW salvage buyback from Directline was 15% of the write-off payout, that was a Cat S 197 however.

Reactions: suj
When my R27 got rear ended on the motorway, they paid out 4k and they wanted....2.3k to buy it back....I laughed so hard down the phone, that was a Cat C (in old write-offs).

Reactions: DS197
@suj - I was only throwing some examples. In my previous motorcycle accidents, Bike value payout was around 1.8k and the "scrap value" to buy it back was like £280(ish).

Never gone through it with a car but I can imagine it's also quite different depending what insurance company you're dealing with? Probably a lot of factors that come into it I suppose.

Anyhow - I'm keen to find out what they come back with, if you wouldn't mind sharing the details @Spiller! Ha

Cheers for the link to the ad Suj.
Insurance have come back with a final offer of £3400 originally they offered £3200. If I want to keep the car they will payout £2210.
I still need to have a decent look under the wing.

I'd be making a complaint and going to the ombudsman about the value they're offering.

Where are they finding undamaged 200 cups for that price ? I'm sure there might be a couple but it's far from an average value.

I was lucky when my MK2 golf got wrote off as they offered quite a bit more than what I was expecting . I've had mates have to put up a good fight but they got what they wanted in the end.

After all this is what you pay your insurance for. To make sure you aren't out of pocket after an accident.

Hope you can get something sorted

Last edited:
Reactions: Frank Perry