200 cup dampers an upgrade for a 197?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes & Steering' started by Jamie Smith, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Jamie Smith

Jamie Smith Paid Member

Car:
    Clio 197
    Hi all,

Just wondering if a set of 200 cup dampers will fit a197 and if these are seen as an upgrade over the 197 Cup items?
    Am I right in thinking the 200 cup units are slightly stiffer?

Anyone made this change?

2. Jamie Smith

Jamie Smith Paid Member

Car:
    Clio 197
    Also, would I have to change the top mounts to a later type if putting the later 200 cup dampers on?
    I’m reading that the later 200’s had a narrower top to the front spring so not sure if it’s even possible to retrofit 200 suspension to a 197??

Sorry, I’m new to this

3. john_walker74

john_walker74 Paid Member

Car:
    Meg 250 cup
    Early 200s have the same larger top mount design as the 197. My 59 plate 200 had the larger top mounts

4. RSRowe

RSRowe Paid Member

Car:
    Clio 197
    The difference between standard shocks and cup ones is like night and day imo.
    I run them with lowering springs and they're mint for track, but a little crashy on the roads.

Jamie is right with what he's saying too. You'd need early 200 shocks to fit your 197.

5. Jamie Smith

Jamie Smith Paid Member

Car:
    Clio 197
    Thanks for the replies chaps. I have the option of going for 197 or 200 cup dampers (early 200’s) as I’m changing them all.
    Any advantage of 200 dampers over 197’s or should I just stick with the 197 cup shocks? I think Cup spring rates were the same between the two?

6. Doogle

Doogle Winner - POTM March 2018 Paid Member

Car:
    BMW e46 330cd
    Ive done this, great idea as sharpens up the handling. Id say 200 Cup dampers on the rear I find too hard, I think 200 Cup front dampers and 197 Cup rear dampers would be good. It can be too stiff for a road car.

Jamie Smith likes this.