200 a better car???

I think that's a good point, is it enough better?? If you're buying from scratch then you'd go 200 (looks aside, as that's subjective)... but if you've already got a 197, it's a big leap in money for a little bit more car.

When someone says the 200 is better, it's not that the 197 was a bad car in the first place, far from it.. they just took something already great and refined it a bit more.

Oh, and I think it looks a bit.....

jar-jar-binks2.jpg

Any1 willing to put this to the test with a car swap? Some1 can drive mine and I drive Thers? Ud have to be local. And then we can see cus from comments I'm feeling I've wasted money.

I think that's a good point, is it enough better?? If you're buying from scratch then you'd go 200 (looks aside, as that's subjective)... but if you've already got a 197, it's a big leap in money for a little bit more car.

When someone says the 200 is better, it's not that the 197 was a bad car in the first place, far from it.. they just took something already great and refined it a bit more.

Oh, and I think it looks a bit.....

jar-jar-binks2.jpg

Lmfao ^^^^^^ it's the spit of ja ja

people say the 200 is better coz it is. We have an R27 and when I tested a 200 FF with cup chassis and I could tell there was a definate improvement. I wouldn't say that it was massively different, but most things were a little bit better, pulled better, the front end doesnt dip as much, turns in a bit better, just lots of little things that made it better.

I'd hardly say the 197 id flawed though Stevo :wink:

From an engineering point of view the 200 is a superior vehicle, its just not a big enough improvement for us to want to chop the R27 in for one, plus in our opinion the front looks poo lol

To say the 197 isn't flawed, c'mon mate. Even I would say that when I had my R27 :wink:

Perhaps I should say it has quite a few imperfections that are pretty much fixed on the 200.

Whether you think the front looks better is down to opinion of course. All I'll say is that I've had more looks and admiration for my FF200 GW than I had in my Nimbus R27 (and that got a lot of attention).

Any1 willing to put this to the test with a car swap? Some1 can drive mine and I drive Thers? Ud have to be local. And then we can see cus from comments I'm feeling I've wasted money.

Is there any 197 left in your car??? You've got the 'box, engine is way better with your mods, suspension likewise.

I think you'd be best at looking at what the 200 has yours hasn't.

That independent steering axis set up could be lifted I'm sure, there must be loads of Meganes in breakers yards to get some off.

The R3's ARB set up is the way to go though apparently, no matter if 197 or 200. Those and a geo change make it a whole next level stupid.

The thing is made you've made a lot of mods to yours so it's an unfair comparison.

I don't feel the need to change my 200 at all, it feels perfect.

I can't see how this isn't stunning, phat etc...

That's the comments I get about the car.

Attachments

• 61331_502195707523_709907523_7217547_7387941_n.jpg
    61331_502195707523_709907523_7217547_7387941_n.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 14
in answer to your question. development. it may not be loads better but look at the different between the 197 and the 182

so the 197 and 200 are the same family 200 obviously "tweaked" so the later will be better or should be better/improved

for example 172 and 182 where the same family only apparently "tweaked" again..

I suppose different people have different opinions but I have a 197 so its the best thing in the world.

(until I get a 200 or 370z :smiley: )

I guess for me I respect equal ends of the Renaultsport spectrum because without one you wouldn't have the other.

To call a mans 200 for how it looks is like sayin' his new girlfriend's ugly and his reply is but shes good in bed . Both relative and important but equally subjective...For us who own 197's its like getting the misses a 'boob job'. She's lovelly looking but there was always something that needed 'enhancing'. The 200 comes with bigger boobs as standard. The next new clio with come with the pretty face and bigger boobs. But pretty face and bigger boobs will never be enough for those who buy that either BUT they will take satisfaction from telling the other clio 197/200 owners what they got over what they haven't (same as we've been done with 172 owners)....its evolution and how else can Renault get us to put off the loft extension or families trip to Disney for another year, if they dont keep improving it.
For me. the more 200 sold, the easier it will be for me to buy one when the 197 boob's start going south lol

Last edited:
The thing is made you've made a lot of mods to yours so it's an unfair comparison.

I don't feel the need to change my 200 at all, it feels perfect.

I don't know I thght mine was great wen I first got it found myself thinking how do you improve something so good? Soon to be stunned by the difference in power, torque and general drivability.

The reason for me asking for a swap was to show some1 that with 4k on a used 197 putting the total to 14k maybe a bit more. Far outweighs buying a spanking new 200 at current rrp say 17k?

Don't get me wrong the 200 is fantastic but is far from perfect IMO

I'm not sure anyone thinks the 200 is perfect (nor the 197) but whether it's 'better' than the 197 is a little easier. Most would suggest yes purely based on the evolutionary approach taken (indeed that can be traced way back to pervious generations). If you want new they you have a limited choice, you can't buy a 182/197 etc. anymore it has to be the 200, if you want to modify instead of new then that's a different matter - some people just love new (which is me) so I'm limited to the 200 and then considering whether I want to mod down the line. Personally I don't want the expense and any added unpredictability from running a heavily modified car. But trying to compare your very heavily modified 197 with a 200 is a bit of an apples/pears comparison surely. Any you can't compare RRP, the 200 is always discounted (unless the buyer really doesn't check) so in Cup form £14K would seem a more realistic comparison. So that puts the price a lot closer. Well modified but no warranty 197 vs a 200 with full warranty - people want different things from these approaches (and looking through the list of your mods.... £4K is pretty low surely?)

Last edited:
4 k would get u a third of the mods but some decent ones to say the least. Plus my car is 09 but warranty meens nothing to me the way that renault are with it. They'd argue over changing 1 penny's worth of faults. That's another subject though. A correctly modified engine will last longer than the normal. Uprated parts etc

I own a 197, I love it to bits and I have great fun in it, but I do agree that as evolution goes, the 200 is better in the areas the 197 only needed tweaking. Is it Allot better? No I wouldn't say so

Its like the 182 owners saying the 197 isn't any better, when it clearly is :smile:

I agree 182 owners love to say the weight difference makes it slower hmmm I think it's always gunna be a tough question to answer. Can we just agree to disagree?

I had a 197 for 18 months (sold it last October for a 172 cup for a house deposit)

Last Oct a mate got a 200 Cup. I could instantly tell the quicker rack, but for me that was the only real difference i found. Yes the low down grunt might be a tiny bit better, but when both 197 and 200 are wound up, imo there will be no difference. Also read a few inaccuracies in this post. The 197 and 200 have the same track width. Also they both have the double axis front suspension set up, the 200 had a very slightly different hub carrier (weight saving mainly). Also the gearbox is the same bar ratio changes, so its not 'different'...........

Anyway, i now have a 197 Cup, so we'll put them (200/197) side by side see if the grunt makes much difference (my gut says no :wink:)

Last edited:
I have a 200 cup, and have not driven a 197, so I do not know which is better. One thing I do know is that they could put a more powerful engine in it, sometimes I think the 200 needs an extra 50 - 100 bhp. Anyone know what Renault has in the pipeline?