197's and Snow Chains

Hi all,
I live in Switzerland and frequently drive in the mountains in winter.

I got my clio200 in May and the dealer confirmed that chains could be used. Plus in the handbook it mentions that you only fit them to the front. I doubt it's different on the 197.
It will be tight, but ok.

To Nick (the OP), winter tyres make a huge difference. If you're going to a ski resort and there's been even light snow, you'll never make it up the slippery hair-pins on summer rubber. With winter tyres, you must still carry chains to satisfy the law, but you'll rarely need to fit them. With FWD, it needs to be steep and deep before you get into trouble. Which is good because fitting chains on any car is an incredible pain in the arse/knees/fingers.

I've never found that they scratch the alloys. It might depend on the wheel and chain combination but I used them on my Boxster many times without problems. I haven't tried them on the Clio yet but I'll post again when I do.

good luck.

dont get snow chains, get either the socks or the stud attachment thing, sorry dont know the english word used for this invention, I've seen a lot of RWD expensive cars with them on so I 'm sure they'll be good for the 197,

yeah well Woody, the snow chains are never mandatory in the areas where there's light snow :wink: snow tyres are more than enough on light snow, wherever the snow chains are mandatory, then there are roads with a lot of snow on them, and you would never even reach the road sign "snow chains mandatory" without snow tires,

I ended up going and visiting Snowchains.co.uk at their head office near Sevenoaks in kent and after a long chat with the guys there we managed to adapt some chains they had so that they would fit within the arches and around the suspension. Got a set with a very very small chain which means there is enough clearance. They also are fitted with alloy wheel protection so the wheels cant get scratched.

Im not planning on using them tbh litterally only got them to satisfy the law.

Which winter tyres would you guys reccomend for me to get fitted for the trip?

I can supply them for £177.13 a corner (WinterContact TS 830P 215/45 R17 91V XL with raised rim rib)

Or Other snow tyres starting from £77.38 a corner.

Prices are delivered.

I know a guy at kwik fit so i get them from there. highly reccomend these in winter mate. They grip very well and clear snow c
Very quickly

are they still suitable to drive on dry tarmac? Cause obviously i will still be driving from The New Forest down to the alps on mainly clear motorways

Snow tyres are yes. Only real difference apart from the tread pattern is you will notice little zig zags cut into the tread all over. This allows the tread to dis-form whilst being driven on and when it comes around it squishes back to the original shape, whilst pushing the snow out..... Ready for the next rotation :smile:

Similar Thread Suggestions