197's and Snow Chains

Clio*Nick

Platinum Member
This may seem like a strange question for this time of year..but im taking the 197 on a skiing holiday in January and in France its a legal requirement to have snow chains in the winter in the alps.

Im sure ive heard somewhere before that snow chains and RS Clios dont mix. Is their any truth in this?

Has anyone put chains on their 197 before?

cheers

Don't fit snow chains.

I am not sure why but in the handbook in says "Fitting snow chains to the tyres is strictly forbidden"

As above buy some snow socks but take some chains with you just to cover your ass.

Cheers yeh I thought i heard that you couldnt fit chains, dunno why though :S

Will have a look at those snow socks and get some as they look like they will be good for the winter here as well

lol very relevant, the amount of times I got stuck on a moderately small hill with snow on it last year, and that was in the west midlands. 197s are terrible on a bit of snow/ice

Last edited:
No to chains !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There isnt enough clearence in the archs and while rotating it wrecks your archs

If you are going touse anything it will have to be socks

Has anyone here used snow socks? Id never heard of them, but they seem quite good as a 'get you out of trouble' aid.

Due to snow socks not actually being legal in France im not going to take the 197 now. Even with the chains made for cars with little clearance in the arches there isnt enough room. litterally got 2mm between the chain and the arch liner. So when the car is moving it hits the arch.

Going to take my dads car instead. Gunna get insured on it for a week and take it instead. Gunna be much simpler option.

You wouldn't really expect them to last on tarmac, snow is so soft though! Think you might struggle with these on ice too, sharp corners would cut them

Similar Thread Suggestions