197 top trumps!!!!

I make my apologies now...I'm new to the forum and I'm old git. But what I find strange at times is how some people compare a 197 with cars that are completely different. Different size, engine, price, target group, insurance group...coments like "its not that great on the motorway..or "its not as fast as a R26"...No its not gonna be...really? Sorry but whats the point.

My other rant...racing on public roads. My dads bigger than your dad? My willies bigger than your willie....whats the point? People spend thousands on their cars and play russian roulette with them and their lives (and others). I bought a damage car and I hope the person driving wasn't racing and lived to tell the tail when the cars ability didn't match his own.

If you want to go really fast either buy a motorbike (and up your life insurance) or use the 197 as I believe it was designed and test your and the cars capability on the track.

Sorry Sunday morning 'Rant' over and I'll step down from my soap box. lol

Last edited:
When you say racing, do you mean other cars or just spirited driving in general?

When you say racing, do you mean other cars or just spirited driving in general?

Sprited driving I guess is something else, once done within context and risk. Many social bike riders get up early sunday morning, put their matching leathers on and take their bikes out. Within this context (just my opinion) the risks are limited. You may have to overtake the old bloke in a flat hat but can't seeing any problem with that.
I'm not being hypocritical cause I've done it in the past, just racing against other cars because of male ego or testosterone feels a little anti-social now. I'm old enough to remember when drink driving wasn't stigmatised in the same way as it is now. The police use to take your keys off you and tell you to walk home.

Last edited:
One thing that annoys me so much is how they can compare the Focus RS to the RS200....for goodness sake, that is no way fair, but never the less hilarious because all that extra power and not much gain on the RS!

I see. I don't race anything in the sense of miles and miles of serious speed limit breaking, but I think a quick blast off the line on a dual carriage way doesn't harm anyone. I think everything has a time and place. On a dualler at 10pm and nothing on the road then you are probably going to be ok. In a 30mph area outside people's houses and in my eyes you are a kn0b! I was going for it around the Welsh roads a few weeks back, and I was just wondering if you were against this.

Theres being a tit on the road 'street racing' and then theres having a bit of fun.

I've been to the odd 'race night' around essex and people are very well behaved. I've seen my share of utter nobs driving cars likewise ( personally i think 17 to 21 is too immature to operate a car ) but you cant buy a 197/200 and be expected to behave 100% of the time :tongueout:

Theres being a tit on the road 'street racing' and then theres having a bit of fun.

I've been to the odd 'race night' around essex and people are very well behaved. I've seen my share of utter nobs driving cars likewise ( personally i think 17 to 21 is too immature to operate a car ) but you cant buy a 197/200 and be expected to behave 100% of the time :tongueout:

17 to 21? 4 years? I have been driving in this age range and for this amount of time and haven't had an accident or any motoring offenses. It is all about who is driving mate.

Yeah those poxy VXR 4000rpm Redline...

True form of a weak engine apparently :tongueout:

Hmm yeh probally .

Lol anyway i do agree that the video of the focus rs vs 200 is amazing .

even more amazing that matt now owns that 200

Last edited:
We had a 197.net meeting about bullying you mate, so we agreed to let you win if ever we saw you. Want to keep it a friendly forum and all :smile:

time and a place and all, usually all the time all over the place. Elvis does get a good kicking. (Once warmed up of course.) 8)

ive gotta say . . .. street racing and been an idiot is totally different. a quick blast away from a set of lights i dont mind. but swerving in and out of traffic on motorways or any road is extremely dangerous and wudnt condone that at all.

Its hard for me to see the point in putting other people at risk but some knob heads still do it.

Focus RS blows the 197 away . . . . . trust me ive tried on an empty motorway and the speed was very naughty.

To be fair the 197/200 isnt so much about outright speed, more of a complete package including its brilliant handling.

I come from a (very expensive) background of Mitsubishi Evo's - great cars and i still love them to bits, alot of the owners think its cool as they are faster than the majority of cars on the road, they fail to see theres far more to a car than outright speed ... i beat a porsche etc.etc. :nope:

Having been on several trackdays myself, i firmly believe that once you have experienced the thrill of driving fast on track, driving fast on the road pales into insignificance, its a shame race tracks arent as accessible as they are say in Germany, where you can turn up and pay for tracktime in 20 minute slots - the kind of thing thats affordable to anyone who loves abit of speed :skiing:

To be fair the 197/200 isnt so much about outright speed, more of a complete package including its brilliant handling.

I come from a (very expensive) background of Mitsubishi Evo's - great cars and i still love them to bits, alot of the owners think its cool as they are faster than the majority of cars on the road, they fail to see theres far more to a car than outright speed ... i beat a porsche etc.etc. :nope:

Having been on several trackdays myself, i firmly believe that once you have experienced the thrill of driving fast on track, driving fast on the road pales into insignificance, its a shame race tracks arent as accessible as they are say in Germany, where you can turn up and pay for tracktime in 20 minute slots - the kind of thing thats affordable to anyone who loves abit of speed :skiing:

100% agree !

Ever since i really got into trackdays I never go out for drives or give the Clio some stick when I'm driving it. There's no way you should be near these cars limits on a public road.

I have never 'raced' on the road but have had the odd bit off a laugh with a random person who is clearly a petrol head in a much more expensive car (you always tend to get a toot of the horn and a thumbs up). I tended not to humour people in cars with similar performance as I always felt it'd turn into 'I've got bigger balls than you' etc