197 re-map?

hi all, i picked up my 197 cup yesterday from harratts renault pontefract, and i just wanted to say.......what an amazing car! but im straight away thinking bout re-map. anyone had it done? does it make a big difference? and is it worth the money? had any problems since? any comments appriciated.

cheers

i think most people will recommend combining a re-map with other - 'stage 1' mods, such as; exhaust system (akrapovic, miltek, supersprint, ktr) along with a panel filter (not induction kit, lol) and then the re-map. while you're at it, get some schrick cams fired in there, then you're laughing :smile:

Whatever you're doing to gain power, be prepared, it won't surprise you performance-wise. My recommendation is stick to it as it is, it's fast enough already, or you'll be crying over your money.

If you fancy a re-map then fine as long as you aren't expecting ground breaking changes. You'll have to spend serious notes to get proper power gains. The FR4 is naturally aspirated after all.

Not being funny, but its a total waste of money. Without serious mods, I'm still not convinced that there is much to gain from any remap to a standard NA engine...I'm sure people convince themselves that its different!!!

a remap isnt all bout gaining power, its fine tuning an engine, some can see big gains as they were running lower than average figure as standard then some with healthy engine wil gain little. Im glad i got mine done and everyone ive seen have it done are also glad. But like people have said your probably better doing mods first then remap.

I keep thinking it'd be a nice thing to do to it...but then I think that's £200+ that would take me on a track day and don't bother :tongueout:

I think on non turbo cars its a waste of time, I had my 306 GTi-6 done a few years ago but wasnt really impressed. It did feel a bit quicker but was I just imagining it?! I had it running roaded with the standard ecu and the mapped one and it gained 9bhp so for £300 was it really worth it.

Yet today I did a Bluefin Superchips stage 3 map on my mates Focus ST 225 at that made one hell of a difference! It flew afterwards, the map goes from 225bhp to just over 300bhp! so for £450 its well worth it.

As others have said its only worth it on non turbo cars like the 197 if you have had cams, headwork etc done in order to get major gains!

I'll bet there isn't anyone who if they drove 2 cars, one with, one without, could they tell which one was mapped....its the biggest whizz on std NA cars in the tuning world par none. There are some many viables. The tuner, their equipment, the car, the mileage, servicing, how its been driven...etc. How can one single pre determined map cover these???? Live mapping, well thats different...My £250 is staying firmly in my pocket.

Remapping the 197 isn't about making it faster, it's about improving the driveability. Cold start is massively improved and the flat spot will be removed. VVT can also be brought in earlier which improves the mid range performance

Each to their own and if someones happy with it then who am I to say. Mapping as its place I'm sure, especially custom maps but the notion that an off the shelf map can 'umbrella' the 100's of variables between one 197 and another is laughable. There are many whizzes in the moddin' world and this is def one off them, along with daft claims from changing exhausts and filters in my opinion....

Last edited:
...but its a total waste of money. Without serious mods, I'm still not convinced that there is much to gain from any remap to a standard NA engine...I'm sure people convince themselves that its different!!!

lets just say i disagree :wink:

Each to their own and if someones happy with it then who am I to say. Mapping as its place I'm sure, especially custom maps but the notion that an off the shelf map can 'umbrella' the 100's of variables between one 197 and another is laughable. There are many whizzes in the moddin' world and this is def one off them, along with daft claims from changing exhausts and filters in my opinion....

Should have said, my map was a live rolling road map. I have no idea what the bluefin etc. are like on the 197. However I did have an off the shelf map on my old car which made the power delivery smoother and I got more MPG

lol yeah well im putting that list down for normal people.

I've got more money than sense and power is corrupting :wink:

Personally i would advise this to anyone wanting 'real' gains:

- Nitrous oxide

Job done :smile:

well looks like woody's found his next mod :wink: and if uve got more money than sense then book some track days ben, bedford april 30th :wink: wink wink nudge nudge lol