197: 197 general faq

Hi there first off hello everyone i am new to this forum and shall no doubt be frequenting here often!

now to pick your brains...

i am currently looking for a clio 197 a few years old just purely as a fun-hooligan motor on my days off and i wanted to know is there any serious issues that i should look out for when buying and what kind of issues can occur? The car i will be buying will be probably be between 07-08 and have low mileage (25 thousand or less) iv'e found a few quite local but just need some handy clio driver knowledge.

i test drove one about 3 years ago when my brother took his 225 full fat with cup pack in for a recall and i was hooked unfortunately with my age it just wasn't possible but now im going back for more and i can't wait :smile:

later 57 models have the revised gearbox with longer 5th and 6th gears.
Gearbox synchros are an issue any crunching means it could be on it's way out.

glovebox gets a little warped.

Recaros suffer serious bolster wear.

Brakes pads can seize into the calipers, difficult to get out but ensure new pads are throughly greased and the problem shouldn't repeat.

Check engine mounts, nirmally good, not unheard of them to fail leading to a knocking noise as it has more movement.

Cup packed suspension is harder to replace then standard.

probably sonething obvious I've missed that someone will add :smile:

I recall the pad's on the bro's meg being a bast! as for suspension i wouldn't be changing it unless i decide to try and jump it off something i literally will be doing 50 miles or less a week

to be honest mate i have jack all to pay for it! hahaha i just got rid of a motor and i brought some stuff i didn't need eg - dslr camera, a photo shop pc, a trip to San Francisco and a separate one to Florida so it's all going on tick. and if i don't pay and they come for it there tow truck and bailiffs best be able to keep up with me :smile:

I have a mint red cup packed and recaro'd 197 for sale

10 month tax MOT last week

8 grand

No issues at all. It's proper. See my threads on here for pics/info. It really is a clean well sorted car

As above really.

Gearboxes tend to be the biggest issue with premature failure, a life expectancy of 30,000 hasnt been uncommon.

Recaros wear out on bolsters quickly.

Pads require constant attention in calipers.

A knocking noise from the n/s/f is very common but few know how to cure it becuase it seems nothing makes the noise!

There have been isolated reports of premature failures of the fuel pump and clutch slave cylinders too.

A knocking noise from the n/s/f is very common but few know how to cure it becuase it seems nothing makes the noise!

So thats why I can't figure out where it's coming from. I've checked a few things and nothing seems plausable to make that noise.