197 centre exhaust help

Read through a load of threads and I'm still confused.
My wife's 197 sounds as if it's blowing around the joint from the manifold to the centre section, but it seems better when it's warm.

I'm new to the 197, is this normal?

Also, the section near the rear joint to the silencers/tailpipes has a sleeve badly fitted to it, along with some exhaust paste on the from seal, it looks like someone has been messing with the exhaust.

So, is there an after market replacement just for the centre section? I've read about the centre section silencer removal, but I assume the box towards the front is a cat?? as it seems to have a sensor plugged into it.

Any help appreciated!

Cheers, Ianboom.

sounds to me as though someone has had an after market exhaust on at some point then removed it and put the standard one back on when selling up

to remove the standard exhaust you have to drop the rear axle to get it off in one piece so alot of people just cut them around where the rear axle is,

after market exhausts come in 2 or 3 pieces so this isn't a problem

when people refit the standard exhaust they generally use a sleeve to join the exhaust back together,this should work fine if done right,sounds like yours could do with going on the ramps to locate the issue,

they do sound a bit blowy when you first start them up but that should soon disappear when warm

they do sound a bit blowy when you first start them up but that should soon disappear when warm[/QUOTE]

yeah seem to be having that myself- car went into garage just to check as sounds like blowing when cold while still under warantee, told me nothing at all wrong with exhaust so diagnostic this afternoon ( may as well while its free)

That's just what happens on a cold start to get all the fluid temps warmed up towards the optimum temp is it not?

thread from 2 montha ago...

but the exhaust noise will also be due to getting the cats up to temperature need to be 300c before they work to reduce emissions so the engine will most likely run with retarded ignition timing...