197/200s now elegible for 750mc Cliosport Series

Suspect most are aware as its been all over FB, but for those who have missed it.

The previously 182 based series has been reworked & re-branded to allow the mk3 cars to compete. There are 2 classes (A - 182 & B - 197/200) but the intent is to balance performance so both cars will be competitive for overall honours.

There's also introductory offers including all parts needed to build and all race fees, for both license holders and novices with some pretty impressive prices.

1640175809881.png

Reactions: LiamP
Engine-.jpg

Standard engines for both platforms, both with K-Tec Racing control series ECU.

Suspension-.jpg

Control K-Tec Racing coilovers, geometry within regulation limits.

Tyres-.jpg

Yokohama control tyres (limited per season to reduce costs).

Brakes-.jpg

Discs may be standard or standard pattern and be of standard diameter and thickness. Racing pad material.

transmission-.jpg

Standard gearbox must be retained. Standard gearbox ratios must be retained.

chassis.jpg

Six-point bolt in rollcage only.

To me this rules out my car anyway due to non-compliant roll cage (mine is fully welded in, not bolted, with more than 6 pickup points). I'm also reading this wouldn't allow a limited slip differential as the 'standard gearbox must be retained' ??

Reactions: Beany
To me this rules out my car anyway due to non-compliant roll cage (mine is fully welded in, not bolted, with more than 6 pickup points). I'm also reading this wouldn't allow a limited slip differential as the 'standard gearbox must be retained' ??
Also replacing the coilies for ktec ones

These appear to be the regulations that include 197/200s: https://www.750mc.co.uk/ugc-1/1/1/0/2022_final_regs_-_clio_sport.pdf

I guess they want everyone competing to be on a level playing field and if you can get a base case for £6,000 from K-Tec is is not overly expensive.

@R20BTG Were you interested in signing up for a few race weekends?

It must be really expensive to run a car in this championship and attend at all of the events - how does anyone with a job and a family find the time?

These appear to be the regulations that include 197/200s: https://www.750mc.co.uk/ugc-1/1/1/0/2022_final_regs_-_clio_sport.pdf

I guess they want everyone competing to be on a level playing field and if you can get a base case for £6,000 from K-Tec is is not overly expensive.

It must be really expensive to run a car in this championship and attend at all of the events - how does anyone with a job and a family find the time?

I've got mates who race, many of them don't have a 9-5 job, they own businesses etc, so they have different working practices, no fixed amount of "holidays" like us 9-5 people have, they will put some costs through companies (it's getting less and less what they can, but most these friends own car related businesses).
It is not cheap at all, especially to be in the competitive end, even the entry level ones like MX5 championship is so expensive (I've spannered for my mate so much).

Apparently you can have a Blackline ATB differential in a 197 but not a 182.

Class B: Standard gearbox and final drive/axle for the CR1N model type must be retained as detailed in 6.3. The differential may be replaced with a Blackline ATB type differential supplied by K-Tec Racing (part number: 060/TRA/BLK/0001.)
The Clutch cover and plate may be changed for items made from uprated materials but must be of a full circumference and retain the standard pattern. For the avoidance of doubt paddle type clutches are not permitted.

I read the regs a while ago and I think it also needs to be a 197 or an early 200 for the mounts. Speaking to a guy racing last year in the series and staying at the front involves a hell of a lot of time and money, oil change, gearbox rebuilds, pads, discs etc after each event and not including Thursday/Friday testing before each weekend…

Will be interesting to see how the times compare as I would put money on the mk3 being faster due to the diff but I imagine the first year it will all be newbies so might take a while to see.

Reactions: EthanMenace
I thought that the 197s were likely to be a tad slower than the 182s due to their extra weight and the diff maybe one way to even it out?

Reactions: strell

Like most people with an interest in track days, I've contemplated racing. I think at some point we all think of ourselves as racing drivers, but the harsh reality is not glamourous. Unless you're getting flown in by helicopter to race a factory prepped GT3 car, the grim reality is that you'll be sleeping in a tent or the back of the car, shitting in a concrete lined toilet in a freezing cold paddock somewhere, drinking tea out of a styrofoam cup, your car will take a beating, someone will crash into you, someone will be cheating, you won't be at the sharp end, you'll be spending thousands maintaining a hatchback with panel dents, and if you're lucky and end up on the podium you'll be able to get a picture of you on a 'podium' holding a £3.75 plastic trophy. You'll be spending £10k/yr for the privilege.

However, one thing that does take my fancy if I can get my mates to stump up the cash is to buy an 'arrive and drive' package in a 24 hour race, something like the Citroen C1 championship. I'd imagine sharing a 24 hour drive with three of your mates somewhere like Spa would be an absolute blast.

Like most people with an interest in track days, I've contemplated racing. I think at some point we all think of ourselves as racing drivers, but the harsh reality is not glamourous. Unless you're getting flown in by helicopter to race a factory prepped GT3 car, the grim reality is that you'll be sleeping in a tent or the back of the car, shitting in a concrete lined toilet in a freezing cold paddock somewhere, drinking tea out of a styrofoam cup, your car will take a beating, someone will crash into you, someone will be cheating, you won't be at the sharp end, you'll be spending thousands maintaining a hatchback with panel dents, and if you're lucky and end up on the podium you'll be able to get a picture of you on a 'podium' holding a £3.75 plastic trophy. You'll be spending £10k/yr for the privilege.

However, one thing that does take my fancy if I can get my mates to stump up the cash is to buy an 'arrive and drive' package in a 24 hour race, something like the Citroen C1 championship. I'd imagine sharing a 24 hour drive with three of your mates somewhere like Spa would be an absolute blast.
Think I’d need to crash diet for a 60hp C1:grin:

I am looking to get my license this year.

Mainly for the latter part of what you mention above. I’ve had a few options to race on a day or over a weekend for people in the past and haven’t had the license to jump on it.

A couple have been for free and others have been around the £1k mark to take a seat. Which I think would be great to do a couple times a year.

However as mentioned above, work and family commitments stop me from entering a full series :smile:

I much prefer driving a slow car quickly than a fast car . Think how fun a 60bhp C1 would be trying not to brake and lose any momentum. Hilarious!

They're just grown up go karts. and just like go karts, I am starting to figure out how to four-wheel drift through corners :smile:

Has anyone on this forum done the anything in the 750mc? I'm looking to get my ards next year, and I have a Clio that's been sat gathering dust for the past 5 years.