1 week into my 197 ownership - My thoughts/findings

Well its now been a full week since buying my 197FF. Absolutely loving it so far, done around 320 miles, majority round town to/from work and the rest have been out blasting on country roads and A roads. Averaged 22mpg and I reset the trip before going for a blast the other night and saw this drop to 17.5 mpg - But like I say i've been basically driving everywhere with a lead foot.

Heres are a few things i've noticed about the car and just wondered if other owners have similar thoughts. Sorry if this is a long and pointless post, but thought i'd share anyway.

Grip - Overall the car is fantastic in the twisties, grip in the dry is just immense, I don't feel like i've got near the limits of grip and doubt I will on the road without purposely throwing the car sharply into a corner too quickly. The grip in the wet is similarly impressive, infact i'm blown away by it - I'm completely sold on the Conti sport contact 5's that my cars got all round - But we'll see how these go with wear rates. The car feels softer than I expected for a sporty car, but can get a bit bouncy at motorway speeds and above and generally the setup feels quite progressive with no surprises.

Steering - Well weighted, reasonable feedback for an electric system and quite quick too. Can't complain really.

TC - I've found the traction control rarely steps in, i've had it flash up on the dash a few times but that was leaving a roundabout with my foot planted in 2nd gear and with a bumpy exit to a roundabout. It also flashed up a couple of times on the lanes before, again putting power down out of a corner on a rough surface. Either way I feel that the TC helps rather than holds the car back so I think it'll be staying on unless i'm on a track.

Brakes - The brakes feel good, easy to modulate with good feedback. Mine squeal a bit at low speed but are fine under harder braking, they have more pedal travel than I thought they would, but this might just be an illusion because the first third or so of travel applies a very small about of brake. When driving the car hard they definitely require a good amount of pedal pressure to get good power out of them and when braking from high speeds the car can feel quite twitchy and unstable (pretty normal for a small hatch I think) After a hard drive on some A roads near me which consist of long straights with lots of roundabouts I found the brakes get pretty well punished and actually being to fade slightly. Again i'm not too fussed about this as they are getting used really hard but on a track I imagine you'd be coming in every few laps to let them cool - I'd definitely upgrade the pads at least before tracking the car and may do anyway.

Gearbox - Slickish and easy to use at lower speed, but i've found that the gearbox doesn't really like lazy gearshifts. It really needs a positive, firm action to get the best from it. When I first got the car I actually struggled when revving the car hard and shifting across the gate i.e. 2nd to 3rd and 4th to 5th but i've got this sussed now. Like I say, i've found if i'm just trying to lazily shift with a couple of fingers when driving hard the gearbox won't really respond well to this and it works much better with the full weight of your hand and a firmer action when slipping between gears at high speed. I may change the gearbox oil as a precaution as my cars done nearly 80k and I doubt its ever been done - Looks dead easy to do from what i've read here.

Engine - Responsive, free revving and works well with the close ratio gearing of the car. It really does need revving though - Below 3k rpm there's not much power, between 3k and 5k it pulls well and then above 5k it really opens up (VVT I guess) and it rips up to 7k with eas. I've not noticed a flat spot at 2k though which everyone seems to suffer from, but then again I don't really understand this anyway - Unless i'm sat in 6th gear at about 35mph, 2k rpm isn't really used much and i've not noticed it when pulling away normally. If i'm launching the car off the line i'll probably be dropping the clutch above 2k rpm too so can't see how much of a problem it would be.

Nice write up and great that you are enjoying it.

You rate the contis but stick some proper sticky rubber on come the spring and you'll be even more amazed :thumbsup:

They're a very enjoyable car indeed. Good review there. However......

The Contis are NOT a great tyre. I know a lot of people on here rate them and they're fine for the daily commute but not much more. As Angel said get some proper sticky rubber on there (I'm running on Bridgestone Potenza RE070) and it will transform you views on tyres.

Really?! The tyres have amazed me, in the wet especially - But maybe its just the capabilities of the car and not the tyres.

I had Potenza's on my classic mini and they were good but I never really thrashed that like i've been driving the clio so never fully tested them. My other car, just a little run about 1.2 corsa C is seriously terrible in the wet and i've just got used to the front end of the car just washing out and understeering at anymore that about 35mph

Maybe i'll try something different once the contis are worn

Well its now been a full week since buying my 197FF. Absolutely loving it so far, done around 320 miles,

you have done over double the amount of miles ours has covered in 8 weeks of ownership.
although, ours has traveled further, lol.

Comming from an MR2 with a 5 speed gearbox
I too have made some bad gearchanges
5th to 4th not 6th.
Getting used to it now, after 3 months

Glad you're enjoying it ! My MPG figure seems to sit there all the time even with a motorway commute 3 months after buying her, lead foot syndrome just to hear it roar I fear.
I've got the same tyres and I agree on the handling side of things I throw it around where I live (Land of roundabouts) and it's not slipped once even when we, scared my mum a few times with it as she's used to the Megane sliding everywhere haha. Definitely considering some AD08's come spring time though.
Flat spot I've never worried about, even after changing the exhaust w/ Decat it doesn't bother me it's just one of those things.
On your note about gear changes, I read on here somewhere that if the car still has the factory gearbox oil it's usually very worn out by now so might be worth a change as mine is exactly the same I've just gotten used to it. Doing mine in a few weeks so I'll let you know if it makes a difference!

you have done over double the amount of miles ours has covered in 8 weeks of ownership.
although, ours has traveled further, lol.

haha yeah the fuel bill has been a tad high... I can't help myself though, every night since buying the thing i'm just sat at home thinking about going for a drive haha been out most nights after work, my favourite little route of country roads and A roads works out about a 40 mile round trip so its not surprising i've done that mileage.

Comming from an MR2 with a 5 speed gearbox
I too have made some bad gearchanges
5th to 4th not 6th.
Getting used to it now, after 3 months

I'm glad you agree, i've gone from 5th to 4th about 3 times now! Luckily not from high revs in 5th so its not done any damage. Again its just lazy gearshifts, just casually pulling the stick back from 5th to 6th and it snaps over to the centre and I put it in 4th! :scared:

Glad you're enjoying it ! My MPG figure seems to sit there all the time even with a motorway commute 3 months after buying her, lead foot syndrome just to hear it roar I fear.
I've got the same tyres and I agree on the handling side of things I throw it around where I live (Land of roundabouts) and it's not slipped once even when we, scared my mum a few times with it as she's used to the Megane sliding everywhere haha. Definitely considering some AD08's come spring time though.
Flat spot I've never worried about, even after changing the exhaust w/ Decat it doesn't bother me it's just one of those things.
On your note about gear changes, I read on here somewhere that if the car still has the factory gearbox oil it's usually very worn out by now so might be worth a change as mine is exactly the same I've just gotten used to it. Doing mine in a few weeks so I'll let you know if it makes a difference!

Yeah the MPG doesn't bother me too much, I wanted to buy a focus ST before settling for the 197 so I was already prepared for poor MPG.

I'll definitely change the gearbox oil too I think, planning to kill a few birds with one stone and do the gearbox oil, service the brakes and take the front bumper off to fit some HID's all in one go.

I'm happy with the Conti tyres, but it's good to know that when they do wear out I can expect even better grip. But I won't be changing them just for the sake of it or for the time of year, i'll just let them wear out. Maybe a trackday will help kill them off :tongue_smilie:

Nothing wrong with the contis at all IMO.

Sometimes this place has a cult like following, one says x is the best part, then all the rest follow :wink:

Nothing wrong with the contis at all IMO.

Sometimes this place has a cult like following, one says x is the best part, then all the rest follow :wink:

Lol this is true. I myself prefer Yoko AD08's as going from contisport to them was just insane!

Nice little write up though mate and spot on with everything IMO. And that feeling of wanting to drive it all the time never went away for me :wink:

Well i'm glad not everyone see the continentals as complete write offs :smiley:

Now i'm 2 weeks into ownership, still loving it and been keeping it clean so it still looks great. Not sure how long i'll be able to keep up with washing it every weekend - If we get this cold winter thats apparently coming the hose will be well and truly frozen!

I've also fully got used to the gearbox now, its really nice to use. Still gona change the gearbox oil as a precaution for the sake of £20 worth of oil

Can somebody confirm these gearboxes are supposed to wine? I'm fairly certain they are as mine works flawlessly but does make some wining noises.

I actually like the wining noise but just double checking its not about to go bang haha :smiley:

I had the contis and Bridgestone on before, very nice tyres, until you put the AD08 on, you will unlock the real potential.

Yeah that sounds about right for mine too, I hear it inside the car but like you say, only slowing down in gear at about 2-3k rpm.