Why Clio's annoy me......Part 1.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Paid Member
No cars perfect. Lets hear your gripes here and how YOU'D have improved it. We're all design Engineers after-all :lol:

1/ First ever clean of my car (MK3) and the wipers wont come up like "normal" cars. Means cleaning under them is a pain, and when drying water is always dripping under them onto the screen.

2/ On the same lines - why is this the only car ive ever owned where every wash results in a deluge of water UNDER the bonnet ? Battery cover, airbox, induction tubes etc............

Fire-away !

Last edited:
Haha, nice thread, I like it :smiley: nits, prepare to be picked :lol:

1. On the subject of wipers - why is there not a function to just do one sweep of the wipers - instead of switching them on, then having to switch them off. A lot of cars allow you to give just a gentle push of the stalk without having to click it on then off....not the Clio.

2. Why is there no blower setting for windscreen AND face? It's one or the other. What if I want to have air on the windscreen AND wafting comfortingly onto my face area?? Non monsieur, zis is not allowed :glare:

:smiley:

Last edited:
I'd have relocated the battery to somewhere more convenient so I don't fear having to amputate my arm every time I change the passenger headlight!!!!

I'd have also changed the auxiliary input to a standard 3.5mm plug, as I'd annoyingly spent a good £10 on an aux cable before picking the car up haha!

Last edited:
-Why was there no JV with high end audio companies for an optional decent sound setup, you tweeters firing up to the windscreen, which bright spark thought that would do justice?
-After such a decent interior.... yet the handbrake was left out of the equation? ....LOL.
-a light weight jack and compact tools would have been a sporting touch (hell nobody done that, remember were you heard it from)
- The right side drain hole housing is poor and an angled rubber connection would drain the pool of water we often find... (just done mine, cannot believe how much water sits there)
-A lower sitting position would of been better if they designed the subframe to drop another 50mm.

The glove box is terrible. You can't really put anything in it except for the bit right at the back. I have various cables and chargers, painkillers, emergency breakfast bars etc in there nothing out of the ordinary, but it all gets clogged up in the exposed hinges and stops it closing. And some times it just falls open when your driving along. Rubbish!
I concur about the phono aux jack, should have been a 3.5mm. Why isn't the 12v power next to it? On a long drive I've got cables strewn everywhere.
The parking sensors are rubbish compared to the Mazda 3 I was driving. They update very slowly by comparison and don't recognize diagonals well. Can't really blame the car for what I did to the rear bumper but I learned the hard way not to trust them.

The things that bug me on the Clio are:

1. Flat spot and kangaroo'in, very bad from cold and sometimes does it when warm too.
2. Flimsy body panels and thin paint, you can tell money has been saved there.
3. The standard sound system leaves a lot to be desired, even the factory upgraded one is rubbish. A 6-disc changer that can't read MP3 CDs, it's 2007 built not 1993! The speakers are also about as powerful as a mouses fart.
4. Is it me, or are the doors unnecessarily long? it's a nightmare on car parks! The plastic handle also creeks and feels like it's going to snap off if used with any sort of force.
5. Dirt just seems to cling to the rear of the car, not sure if the diffuser has something to do with it? Or the fact it's just quite flat on the back. My old Type R was quite bad for this too but the Clio seems worse!

I'd definitely echo what has been said about the wipers both in terms of their odd lack of ability to be raised in a conventional manner for washing purposes and about the lack of a soft touch one wipe option. To that end, the lack of a soft touch indicator bugs me. I've never had a car before that didn't have this. Also, I will add the ridiculous cup holders in the 200 to the mix. What can you house in their except maybe the California Car Scents air freshener that I have living in it. It's too small for any conventional sized drinks container that I've encountered this far...which also leads me to wondering the purpose of the single cup holder for the rear passenger. Do they fight to the death to decide who gets the privilege. To be fair, nobody would get to use them as that's where my coffee cup goes because it isn't capped by height restrictions.

They only other things that have really got me a little annoyed are the terrible radio and sound system as standard. It's just really poorly designed and way behind the times even for a car that's 4 years old. Why is there no usb on port?! That's just basic even for then!

My last gripe, that stupid lightbulb catch design for the H7s. It's not much wonder that the average amateur driveway mechanic is a disappearing sight. They probably got put off by not having hands sized like those of the Borrower's and ran out patience with those stupid fiddly designs for catching lightbulbs back in place.

Oh...wait...that kangarooing is also hugely annoying as is the fact that the rear hubs are untreated and rust.

Aaaaaand yet...it's still an irrepressibly likeable car. [emoji5]

Last edited:
Why are the bulbs in the 197/200 so bloody annoying too change, it would have been lovely to just take them out and put them in without having too worry about have skin on your knuckles afterwards...

Also would be very nice if any Clio didn't rattle as much as it did...

Last edited:
Bulbs
Wipers
Sound system
Ridiculous cost of OEM parts
That pretty much covers it

On the rear 1/4 panel there should have been a protective strip at the bottom the way the arch comes out! Asking for stonechips! I mean even porsche have them lol! Already mentioned things jamming in the glove box hinges!!

On the rear 1/4 panel there should have been a protective strip at the bottom the way the arch comes out! Asking for stonechips! I mean even porsche have them lol! Already mentioned things jamming in the glove box hinges!!

Mine are plastered in damage from this exact reason :smile:

Similar Thread Suggestions