What do you think is a good salary?

I think we should all be taxed equally, as it works on a ratio anyway.

If you earn 39k, you take home approx. 7k more per year than someone on 40k. It's a joke.

You're better off on £39,999 than you are on anything up to around 51/52k.

Where in the governments mind, does that make sense.

Equal TAX IMO. :smile:

I always did sales in the past so I appreciate what they do, but they don't work too hard.
In our industry, sales are reactive. So they often literally sit around picking their noses waiting for calls. Calls my marketing and online work generates!!

Very frustrating if you're not compensated for this.

I feel for the guys who've got to cold call/sell all day long.

I think we should all be taxed equally, as it works on a ratio anyway.

If you earn 39k, you take home approx. 7k more per year than someone on 40k. It's a joke.

You're better off on £39,999 than you are on anything up to around 51/52k.

Where in the governments mind, does that make sense.

Equal TAX IMO. :smile:

Not sure that's how it works Tom.

You only get taxed on the amount over the threshold.

So earning 40k would bring you home about £700 more per year than 39k

Yeah, like aemskelley said, you are taxed at 40% on everything you earn over £35k.

Every £1 your earn over £35k, you only see about 60p, whereas it's 80p on every £1 upto £35k.

Not sure that's how it works Tom.

You only get taxed on the amount over the threshold.

So earning 40k would bring you home about £700 more per year than 39k
I didn't realise that! Makes perfect sense then. :smile:

Still equal tax FTW. :smiley:

I'm pretty lucky, I work for London based companies on a London salary, but I work from home in Dorset 4 days of the week so my overheads are much lower than the M25 divide.....

The government is looking at a flat tax system whereby everyone pays 30% and no National Insurance. I'm for this as the rich can avoid paying tax and it is the vast majority in the middle that get clobbered for it.

The government is looking at a flat tax system whereby everyone pays 30% and no National Insurance. I'm for this as the rich can avoid paying tax and it is the vast majority in the middle that get clobbered for it.

how about we all pay 20% but hammer tax dodging companies like Virgin. *******s, Richard Branson should have his citizenship revoked, and his Knighthood stripped.

Then smash other companies like Amazon and Shell. Thats why the countries skint

So it's the governments fault then. These companies aren't breaking any rules, the rules need to be changed for companies not solely operating in the UK. Having said that Shell would just entirely move to mainland europe and bermuda.

Shell have petrol stations here :-s that's it....and even they are franchises...

I don't see how a company that doesnt operate anything in our country, affects us...

Very true, if I could avoid paying tax I would.

Im a Ranger fan, so with whats happening at the momment thats the position ive taken on it. They havent broken the law, else they would be jailed. Its just a loophole that alot of companies exploit.

Apparently the Uk loses £25Bn a year in unpaid tax. Big number.

Shell ship management ltd. is in the shell centre in London, they operate quite alot from the UK and the IoM.

I'm, in an obscure way, employed by them but working for a Qatari company which own a couple of LNG terminals in the UK, Shell operate the vessels but under the 'ownership' of this other company.

So really they should be paying more tax in the UK.

Last edited:
Very true, if I could avoid paying tax I would.

Im a Ranger fan, so with whats happening at the momment thats the position ive taken on it. They havent broken the law, else they would be jailed. Its just a loophole that alot of companies exploit.

Apparently the Uk loses £25Bn a year in unpaid tax. Big number.

Yeah...I did tell them I'd pay them back, but they just keeeeep going on about it :-/

Shell ship management ltd. is in the shell centre in London, they operate quite alot from the UK and the IoM.

I'm, in an obscure way, employed by them but working for a Qatari company which own a couple of LNG terminals in the UK, Shell operate the vessels but under the 'ownership' of this other company.

So really they should be paying more tax in the UK.

So the shipping organisers are in London....not exactly a massive part of shell compared to most of their holdings haha,

However, I am guessing you work for Dong? Another way Shell have got round selling something and still getting money from it....'integrating'. You seam to have fallen for Shell language hook, line and sinker :wink: haha
But always thought they were Danish, not Qatari :-/

Last edited:
So the shipping organisers are in London....not exactly a massive part of shell compared to most of their holdings haha,

However, I am guessing you work for Dong? Another way Shell have got round selling something and still getting money from it....'integrating'. You seam to have fallen for Shell language hook, line and sinker :wink: haha
But always thought they were Danish, not Qatari :-/

Nah, I hate them tbh, they're useless at organising anything and with the people at the top I'm amazed they make any money at all.

I've actually left them and transferred to this Qatari company, but some of the vessels are still in a transition phase. Then shell will have nothing to do with it.